Thursday, April 10, 2014

Grub Crawl - Lee Rd: Mediterranean Gourmet and Arepera La Nueva (Closed)

I grabbed some food for dinner at these places I saw when I ate at Wild Rice last week and after my disappointment in Winter Park yesterday. They are on the even worse part of Lee Rd (east side of I4).

Mediterranean Gourmet - A bit of a misnomer. Gourmet it's not. Cheap, authentic and acceptable it is. The guy is from Lebanon. He's been there for years. I had a vegetarian roll for $3.50. It had tabouli, hummus and lettuce and tomato. I think it was supposed to have avocado. I think they actually subbed out some pre-made wrap that they cut into fourths and call a roll. I wasn't up to arguing. This was just a "because it was there" sampling. It's in a strip mall next to a defunct Tokyo Express that still has it's signs up. It's not very clean or pretty. The cashier smelled of swamp grass. There was one other there at 1 pm.

Arepera La Nueva - I've written about the original on 436. This is outpost number two. To refresh your memory, they serve Venezuelan food (limited menu). I had a fried cheese/dough finger that I think was called a Tequenos for $1. It was ok. The place was technically off the list and I wasn't in the mood to stay in there with the smell of an overrun sceptic tank. The place isn't new or clean. Not "roach on the wall" bad, but, nothing to write home about either. There were two ex-pats there at 1pm. It seats about thirty. It's across (laterally) from the strip mall that has Med Gourmet .

No comments: