Sunday, April 13, 2014

Grub/Pub Crawl - Orlando: Mimi's Cafe and Orlando Brewery

These places are semi-near each other. Mimi's is on Millenia Blvd near the mall and the brewery is behind ORMC Downtown on Atlanta.


Mini's Cafe - I was semi-tricked into going here by the Orlando Weekly. They made it sound like it was a new, little bistro. It's just that dumb chain and I've already tried it (in Altamonte I think). I was in the area to try and find some lamp covers at IKEA (failed), but, I'm still mad I wasted a trip on this place. I tried to stem the bleeding by choosing something under $10. I was geared up for some breakfast and French food. That (and the fact that there were no new places in the area to sample) was the main reason I didn't just pick up and leave after I realized my error. I had some kind of Eggs Benedict that traded a potato galette for the muffin and bacon and spinach for the ham. I think they called it Lyonaise (even though the receipt says Pomme Benny). It was just under $10. It also had a fruit salad that they others didn't. It was simultaneously bad and good. The eggs (2) were poached nicely. The "galette" were mashed potatoes (uncrisp) not fried slices. The Hollandaise was pretty white. It wasn't bad. I just wonder if they use eggs (yolks). The bacon and spinach were fine. It came out fast. the service was good. The place looks like it belongs in Disney. I think they started out being more French Quarter (props) and have moved towards (their idea of) traditional French. The menu is for Americans. It has burgers and waffles and pancakes and the like. They do try and have a French spin. I just don't like these "theme" restaurants. It seats over 100. It was pretty full (or the parking lot was), but, the staff was complaining that it was empty. They serve alot of dishes that have no relationship to real French cooking (ie Bayonne Benedict - which I got them to admit was just a nod to the spices they claim are used in that city - strange I thought the French always use corned beef in their recipes and I'll bet the spices are as foreign to someone from there). I know there's a dearth of French options, but, I still say "pass"

Orlando Brewery - I found them two blocks off the Kaley exit on I-4 in an area that is still surrounded by working mills and factories. I had a flight (4 samples for $8) and a glass for $5. Most of the beers in the flight (Kolsch, Blond Ale, Pale Ale and Red Ale) were watery and uninspiring. The Red was maybe the best. The Doble (Double) Imperial IPA was good. It was (by far) their most aggressive beer and it was kind of average compared to what most guys are coming up with. The place was fun. It has one bar, around 16 beers (24 if you count their "mixes") and some table seating. It's a factory tasting room. Around thirty people were there in the middle of the day. They have one tour at 6pm. They are open every day (later on weekends). They were celebrating their eighth anniversary. The server knew her stuff.

No comments: