Friday, April 25, 2014

The Coop, Winter Park - Closed

I went to this new venture of John Rivers on Wednesday. I went at 2 pm because I heard it has been a madhouse since it opened last Thursday. It still had a line, but, it wasn't bad. I had to wait around ten minutes. It has the same waiting line as 4 Rivers. The food is in front of you as you make your way to the cashier and you tell them what you want as you sidle by. I had a two piece fried chicken meal for $8. That gets you two sides (out of 18). I had creamed corn (because of an article in the Weekly) and the Anson Mills Creamy Grits. I figured the Mac and Smashed Potatoes would be the same as 4 Rivers. The chicken was good. The coating had alot of black pepper in the batter and little else. Nice. The skin was mostly crisped up. The pieces were a little smallish, but, they probably use steroid free birds. The corn was very sweet and must have had a million calories. I couldn't tell what made the cream. Heavy cream or mayo? The grits were a bit bland. They had little yellow corn granules in a white puree that was reminiscent of cream of wheat. Not sure if they mix ingredients. It also had a few smallish lumps. I love lumps, but, some people will say they didn't stir correctly. The place seats over 100+. It was about a quarter full. It's in that great corner spot on Morse that has had a pizzeria and a Middle Eastern place, et al. This time they walled in the patio. I can't remember if they had AC in the last place. It looks homey. They do the mismatched chair thing. They have a few communal tables. It's supposed to feel Southern casual. The menu is also VERY Southern. Catfish, oxtail, dumplings, meatloaf, pork chops, pot pie, biscuits, deviled eggs, fried green tomatoes - you get the picture. The cherry fried hand pies are supposed to be great. It's another home run by a guy who I think of most when I think of Central Florida taste makers. For some reason his name is the first one on my mind when visitors ask what they should try in Orlando. I know he doesn't have the fanciest or most impressive restaurants in town, but, he seems to represent what is best about the area. This spot will only enhance that reputation. I'd tell you to go, but, I think you already were on your way. Ohh, I forgot. They sell Old Milwaukee and real Coors beer. Nice touch.

No comments: