Sunday, April 6, 2014

Pub/Grub Crawl - Sanford: Shantell's Cafe (Closed and Now Re-Opened Across the Street), Buster's Bistro and Little Fish Huge Pond

After my bitter diasppointment at the Food Truck event, I walked down Sanford Ave to a little enclave that has the following spots. Note that the town is re-doing the road they are on. It's expected to be completed in July.

Shantell's Cafe - They are supposed to put out good 1 lb burgers and chicken and waffles. It's a soul foodish menu (but higher end). I tried to sample both without overdoing it. I had their sliders (3) after they assured me it's the same meat as the 1 lber. They were cooked as ordered (medium) and the pickles, tomatoes and bun were all supremely fresh. I didn't care for the seasoning they adulterated the burgers with. It was was too garlicky and salty. I suggest they just let the beef speak for itself. They cost $7. I also had to try the fried chicken and found a $5, 2 piece dinner on the menu. The chicken was fried perfectly. No grease. Thin coating. Juicy chicken. It also came with a side. I chose mac and cheese because they raved about it. I found it a bit bland (needs a tangier cheese in the mix), but, the macaroni was cooked perfectly and the portion was large. This place is a real gem. I saw them make a huge rib eye with shrimp (big and fresh), fried fish and waffles. They all looked great. And all were cheap. The waffles are $12. I'm not sure you need to eat 5 cents worth of batter and an extra breast for the extra $7. But, that's the thing. You can mix and match the value items and still get to know their menu. The place is cool. It's done up like a speakeasy. It only seats about 22 on the left side of the restaurant (bar stools and hightops) and 12 in the other room (Fat Rat). It's mostly black backgrounds with paisley reliefs. They have three TVs. They cook right behind the bar. They do lunch. It attracts all kinds. Maybe the best value in Sanford.

Buster's Bistro - Another shock to the system. This is a Belgian beer hall cum restaurant. They serve a mostly Belgian selection of beer and cider and some atypical wines. They also serve Belgian food. They change it up frequently. The place looks great. The front and back have garage doors. They have a big patio out back. The main room is spotless and beautiful. The bartenders know their stuff and are polite. It seats about forty inside. Plenty of standing room. It was pretty full early in the night. It has been around for a year. A Belgian immigrant opened it. The only questionable choice he has made is the name. It doesn't scream Belgium. I think people would assume it's just another dive bar. That couldn't be further from the truth. A real get away right outside your door. *moved down the street.

Little Fish Huge Pond - This place looks like a boring Irish pub from the outside, but, it's a funk fest inside. All kinds of whacked out art. They serve beer, wine and some crazy cocktails. I think they might have been operating nearer to the town center before as One Fish Two Fish. The name sounds familiar. I know I've been to a place called that somewhere before.

If you have a night in Sanford, this little area should be your choice. I hear the party goes on to the early hours. Don't be scared away from the area. They say they are putting in street lamps soon.

No comments: