Saturday, April 5, 2014

Sandwich Shop Evaluation

Subway - The bottom of the barrel and the proof that the world is upside down (because it's the most successful). The bread is usually stale. The vegetables are contaminated or covered in some chemical to make them stay fresh. The meat is high fat spam. You usually catch a cold from the workers. Salt levels are ridiculous. No coupons or loyalty programs. The $5 sub promotion (the one inducement) is being clawed back (now basically a BLT). They can even be charged with deceptively advertising it. No TV. No wi-fi. Few Seats. They have a "breakfast" menu and bottled sodas and fountain sodas. Cheapest combo meal (12") will be near $8. They had to take out some chemical from their bread. Now the bread is atrocious too.

Firehouse - Their fat owners claim on commercials that you will be full when you leave. Fat chance. They give you little meat on sub-12" rolls. It takes a long time to get your sandwich. They bring it to you. I prefer watching for monkey business. The meatball sub is the only sandwich where they can't short you. It's good. You could also go for a corned beef or pastrami. You just won't get much. The veggies are even limper than Subway's. They do have the soda machine that allows many combos/choices. But, they only have one and there's always a line. They have TV's (usually sports on). They have coupons. They give you a huge soda. They try and eke out a little extra with the pricing. No wi-fi.

Jersey Mike's - I vacillate between liking them and avoiding them. It usually centers around whether I caught a cold from them breathing/sneezing into the product the last time I was there and how bloated I want to be for the next 48 hours (high salt). Their "swamp" lettuce is usually the cause (I think). They slice the meat in front of you. Not something I care about and it slows down the assembly line. They have a small selection of toppings. The sandwich is less than 12" (even if you don't get short sliced). The bacon is hard as plastic and who knows how long it has been there. They have a griddle. They have a red pepper paste. They have been raising prices pretty consistently and shrank the size of their soda cups.They have TV's. Seating is usually a struggle. They have a loyalty program and do coupons. The daily specials or a meal using a coupon is usually required to make this work. No wi-fi. I still don't get why they don't have the mustard next to the mayo. It's in the cooler. Shouldn't the mayo be there, if anything should?

* I ate there today (4/10/14) and they just changed the daily special so it's a dollar more. Now $8. The sandwiches offered ARE better now. However, it shows that they are still in the "see how far we can push" mode of companies on the rise. The cheapest regular combo meal in the place will now cost you over $8. I'd watch to see if printed coupons disappear now that they just added a direct text program.

Jimmy John's - They have a $3, $4, $5 Menu. I don't go here often because they turned me off by not being transparent with their combo pricing and the sizes are small. You can't get a set price on adding a drink and chips. It's off menu. I asked last time and it seems they charge a different price depending on how expensive your sandwich is. I have no idea why it should fluctuate (they do this at Wendy's too) or why you should get charged more after paying more for a more expensive sandwich, but, it irritates me. The few times I have gone, I think the sandwiches were ok. Not very stacked. They have no TV or wi-fi. I don't think they have loyalty programs or coupons. They deliver.

Arby's - A little out of place, but, they may screw you the least (if you use coupons) and they have a fairly unique beef sandwich. It seems like there is more meat per dollar doled out here (especially if you use a coupon). Their other (menu is always in flux) items are usually too highly priced and not very good. I saw them pouring hot water into powder for their "au jus". No TV or wi-fi. I think they have a code when you use a coupon that tells the staff to short the amount of meat they give you. They have all those deep fried, fast food snacks the others lack. They have a drive thru. They have a dollar menu. They have disgusting curly fries. They have a stupid bell.

Blimpie's - Haven't been in a while. They are usually pretty bad and specialize in ham or bologna type sandwiches. They coupon.

Nature's Table - Only good for their avocado sandwich. Expensive because stupid hippies eat here and I guess they don't understand pricing.

Pita Pit - Items start at $6.50. They have a little more choice. You are nearing $10 if you combo it. They have breakfast and a kid's menu. A Mediterranean section. People think a pita or wrap has less calories than bread. They don't. Just less air. They have crazier toppings. No TV. No wi-fi. They have a grill.

Quizno's - I haven't seen one in a while. I always found them to be a bad value. I hated that they tried to bake everything.

Which Wich - Too expensive. A small (7") is over $5. They have some cool subs like a cheese whiz philly and that old crab salad one from Subway. The have no TV or wi-fi. They do have a free, communal newspaper. Ok if you want something funky. Loyalty program. No coupons.

Sobik's - Will have to refresh my recollection. I remember it as similar to Blimpie's.

Panera - I hate them and only abuse their free wi-fi mostly. Baked goods aren't a total rip, but, they never make enough quiche. The menu is over priced. They execute horribly. The only good item they had (salmon salad) is gone. the bread bowl soup have a shot glass of soup in them. It's for middle class women who think they are high class and don't want to cook and don't want their friends to see them in a (gasp) fast food restaurant. The beeper and you pick up thing is stupid.N o TV. No coupons.

Crispers - Much like Panera except they are known to give you more food. I just had a trio plate for $8 and although it was pretty gross, there was alot of it. They have free wi-fi. No TV. They bring the food to you. takes a while. Low staffed.$2+ for a soda.

All in all, I used to go to Subway for a $5 special when it's a good selection for that month and I can risk a cold. I try Now they are blacklisted. Firehouse for a meatball or when I have to have corned beef or pastrami and I have a coupon. I go to Jersey Mike's when I have a coupon or I like the daily special. I go to Which Wich when I have to have whiz (not often). I go to Arby's when I want chicken fingers or sliced beef and have a coupon. I go to Panera (and now Crispers) when I need wi-fi. But, I buy little or nothing.

No comments: