Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Firefly, Winter Park - Closed

I tried this newish (two months) gastro pub on N. Orlando in the Winter Park Village last night. It replaced the very similar venture (Taps) across from Mitchell's Fish Market. The Weekly said the menu was uninspiring, so I wasn't really itching to waste a slot to find out if they were right. However, it just so happened that my plane would be landing at a weird time and it was on my way home. I'm kind of glad it worked out that way. The changes (to the menu in particular) are minimal. The one thing that jumped out at me was that they have lanterns/jars filled with jumbles of Xmas lights that I'm sure are meant to simulate fire flies. You know, the ones that kids trap on summer evenings and suffocate. The decor seemed the same. The wine vending machines survived. The beer selection may be a tad larger and better. The menu probably has some new items, but, it is still basically finger foods, flat breads and burgers. Maybe the chicken dishes and poutine are new, but, those are just mash ups when you get down to it. I tried the most risky and over loaded item for you. I had a Piggly Wiggly burger with fries for $12. It let my try the burger meat, pulled pork, bacon and fries (and peanut butter and bun if we are getting technical). Even though the kitchen was closing and I had no right to expect that any attention would be paid to it, it came out perfectly. The meat was even a tad under medium. I liked the flavor and grind. The bacon was thick and crunchy. The pork was a bit bland. The fries were a tad limp. But, the type (skin on) they use invariably are. The bun was a bit "crumbly/old". I would not recommend the combination. Based strictly on taste. I think it needed sweetness and/or spice. Maybe a chutney or peppered chocolate mole? The peanut butter overwhelmed the already savory mix. It was just three or four upper cuts of richness. I even tried to temper down the assault with the fries. It helped a little. But, once again, not bad. Just "too"! I had had a triple patty burger at the Indianapolis airport (96th St Burgers - pretty good) for lunch, so, I'm actually surprised I had any appetite for it at all. They served the burger on a wooden cutting board. The fries came in a little mock fry basket. The change in ownership has probably lifted the rating of the spot without doing anything that would anger anyone who used to go here. It was better than I was expecting or what I remembered about the last place. I was scared it would be the same experience. I'd be interested in trying the other items on the menu. The beer "curation" seems to be in good hands. I believe the bartender who was on duty is in charge of it and he seemed to be very invested with his responsibility. Always a good sign. I didn't check out the wine.

*There is now a Rubio's Tacos across from Firefly. I lived in Southern California for a while and it WAS a very good fish taco play. Now it is a little "corporate". I don't love their "specialty" - fried fish tacos. It's like putting a corn dog in a bun in my mind. The whole seafood tacos idea was a bit strange for an Easterner. We call that crap a "wrap". I don't know who "invented" it first. But, that's what they do and it's there. For how long they have been there, I have no idea. Just letting you know because I'm not making an extra trip to try a chain I've already tried a bazillion times.

No comments: