Thursday, May 4, 2017

Mesa 21, Ivanhoe Village - Closed

I tried this new (one month) Mexican restaurant on N. Orange at the lake for lunch on Wednesday. It replaced Gargi's. I had been waiting forever for it to open. I think they first anticipated opening in the Fall and then in January or February. It was worth the wait and because Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow, I lost no time telling you about it. It is visually and gastronomically satisfying. You have the lake view of course. But, they did a bang up job with the remodel as well. The inside/outside dynamic is minimized by some elegant floor to ceiling glass. Even inside, you have a satisfactory view of the lake from almost all the west facing seats. The one exception is the cloth curtained "private room". I don't think they have a clear view. But that's what you get for putting on airs. They also "connect" the two bars with a designated byway for the bartenders. The result is that it doesn't feel like two restaurants and you can enjoy the AC without sacrificing the beauty outside. And they also have misters and fans on the deck. The layout also splits the seating in equal parts. Maybe there are a few more seats outside. I counted a rough 60 and 60 seats. The patio colors are black, white and orange. They copy that scheme and add some wood inside. The decor is what I think they are terming "steam house". Old black metal industrial objects with a concentration in things electrical. Think of the set of the Time Machine or any modern gastro-pub. They also have a fifties style sign and some decorative art. Great attention to detail. The tables are maple(?) inside and plastic outside. The cutlery is steel and the napkins are black cloth. It was about half full and filling up as I ate. Representative crowd. Even though they gave me the worst seat in the house (next to the rest rooms), I forgive them thanks to the beef carpaccio ($12) and Mexican Sampler ($13) I had.

The carpaccio seemed freshly prepared. Neither it nor the plate was stone cold. They were a little excessive with the seasoning and the toppings, but, who can really get too mad at generosity. The seasoning was some kind of chipotle powder and the toppings were diced tomatoes, onions and capers. They added some thinly cut jalapenos, oil and they "ceviched" it. I'm used to an Italian preparation, but, I'm not totally against "cooking" the meat a little for variety's sake. Maybe rename it something in Spanish then? This beef didn't need to be cooked. It was of a good quality. They also served it with some home made chips that came in a precious little fry basket. I could have stopped eating here. However, the Sampler was in the queue (so I could report back on the most objects for you) and I don't have to obey what my stomach tells me. The Sampler consisted of two cheese empanadas/tamales that they call quesadillas (because I think they just don't want to reprint the menus), two chicken taquitos and two chicken or pork sopes. All were great. Great quality cheese and fry and sweet batter on the empanadas. Covered with white crema. The sopes were tiny and a little chewy, but, sopes usually are chewy. They were piled high. Covered with lettuce tomato and crema. Bean base. The taquitos were great. Maybe the best I've eve had and I lived in LA for eight years. The shells were so light. No fear of cutting the roof of your mouth on them. Stuffed full. Wonderful. Covered with lettuce, cheese and crema. I used to get taquitos every Monday during my Senior year of undergrad. I would stop by the best Mexican spot near campus (after my internship at the talent agency) and bring them home and watch Monday Night Football. It's on at 6pm on the West Coast. I would have looked like fat Schmidt on New Girl if these taquitos were sold back then and there. Or I would have had to extend my run to the Rose Bowl. The rest of the menu is a mix of old favorites (classed up) and chances. They have soups, a rib platter and Veracruz fish and steak for example. That end of the menu gets a little pricey (up to $28). However, I'd expect them to make it worth your while. The bar is also loaded with a decent selection og scotch and whiskey and tequila and wine and beer. Beers were only $4-$5. Wine was around three times retail. They have a glassed in tortilla making kitchen.

Service was great. Friendly. Attentive (3 refills). Quick. Music was at an acceptable level. Mix of Latin and Pop. The manager/owner was a task master. He was making sure everything was in order. With a guy like that running his finger over every nook and cranny, you can rest easy knowing that everything is in order. That and that great view push this newbie (original location somewhere west of Orlando) beyond the other "upscale" Mexican places I have reviewed this year (and in the past). The tasty food might have been enough on it's own. However, just like the decor, the devil is in the details and they are straight up evil. The one sticking point is the parking. There isn't much. They have a valet. But, I will not trust them. I saw Ferris Buellar. Maybe you'll be lucky like me and find a spot on the street. That said, you shouldn't be mesa'ing around and ignoring this great newcomer. Will be on the Favorites list.

Did you hear some comedians (Jimmy Fallon?) take on Cinco de Mayo. He said "Someone (probably Trump) thinks it means a sink full of mayonnaise."

No comments: