Monday, May 15, 2017

Luke's Kitchen and Bar, Maitland

I tried this fairly new (1 month?) entrant from the folks at Luma/Prato at lunch on Sunday. I was worried that it being Mother's Day it might have been the wrong call. However, I found a seat at the bar and the food came out quickly. I had a roasted green bean bowl with prosciutto, poached egg, zucchini, potato cubes, radish and some kind of "crackle" on top. They subbed in snow peas for the green beans, so, it wasn't exactly like the rustic breakfast dish they were trying to riff on. It was still good. A better quality of prosciutto (and green beans) would have helped. They prosciutto was hard to separate into bite sized pieces. They could cut it into strips for you. The concoction was served in a tiny bowl that made eating it akin to performing micro-surgery. It was on the brunch menu. It cost $12. I also had a Lobster Louie ceviche for $14. The "Louie's" I have had were usually made with French dressing. This version consisted of tiny (probably actual homard) lobster tails (sub one pounders), cherry tomatoes, mayo and lemon or lime juice. It's a smart pairing. The juice adds a clarifying quality that contrasts the savoriness of the mayo and vica-verca. Ceviche can be a bit astringent. Adding the mayo tempers the bitterness and adds body. They served the fair sized portion in scallop shells (3). I was very pleased with the choices I made. The rest of the menu was pretty derivative. Things like burgers and fish sandwiches and roasted chicken. All were "funkified" in some way and the quality of the ingredients have provenance. The dishes I saw my neighbors eating looked good. The portions were big. Prices were all over the place. Some things were bargains and some things were overpriced. Choose wisely. Things topped out in the high twenties. The floor was in the teens. I forgot to check what was "on offer" on the dinner menu. The place looks good. I don't want to go into a whole dissertation on it though. They tore down the old Napa-whatever it was and now it's an open room floor plan with a bar in front and open kitchen in the back. There is a patio on the right. The thing I remember most is wood. Lots of wood. It's similar in look and feel to many of places that have opened lately. Think Earl's at Millenia. Service was perfect. No real complaints overall. I just don't get why they went this route. It's not really that much different than Luma. Maybe a tad more casual? It's at 640 South Orlando Ave/17-92 near the Enzian. Across from Antonio's. Probably will make the Favorite's list in the $$$ category.

No comments: