Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Caridad, Orlando

I stopped into this Dominican establishment for breakfast last week on my way to the airport. It's on 436. I had the Desayuno of two fried eggs, ham, casava (a root vegetable similiar to a potato), and pickled onions for $6 (although it said $3.95 on the menu). It was surprisingly inspired. The portion was large (5 hunks of casava). The eggs were well cooked and yokey (over easy). The casava was boiled. The ham was lean and was flavored with the bitter pickling juice on the sauteed onions. I'm not sure if it was cooked in it or absorbed the flavor on the plate, but, the bitterness helped cut all those savory elements. I really liked this take on breakfast. The place is clean. It was empty (but it was 10 am). The service was quick. The price was right. Open your mind and try something new yet familiar. Embrace the variety Orlando's many cultures provide you.

I could suggest some decor work, but this is just a small mom and pop immigrants restaurant, and I'm not sure you go there for that.

No comments: