Sunday, August 17, 2008

Two Blonds and a Shrimp, Sanford - Closed

I experienced Two Blondes and a Shrimp on Staurday afternoon. It's on First St in Sanford. It's in the old Blue Dahlia space and frankly I don't percieve much difference. They've done nothing with the decor. They've kept the same cook (not a chef). The menu is more Paula Dean now (which I don't consider a selling point). I had the Southern Belle BLT for $8 and an Iced Tea. I was leaning towards the the Shrimp and Grits but I just had it at Bobby Flay's Bar Americain and the thought of BBQ sauce incorporated in this recreation turned me off. The other factor in the BLT's favor was Fried Green Tomatos. I've never had the pleasure. These were lightly breaded and pan fried (aren't they usually deep fried?). They had no taste. It was like eating a soft ice cube. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because to make up for the blandness they served this in a spicy remoulade sauce that overpowered everything else in the sandwich. It was a shame because the bacon seemed well prepared and the bread was well toasted and Pepperidge Farm thin. This is a theoretically superior creation. In practice it doesn't work. I still have indigestion. It came with a half plate of Ruffles. The place is boho chic (your crazy aunts living room) and girly gay. They tie the steelware with a little twine. The service (3) was a little overwhelmed by an occupying force of 15 patrons. It may well have been the eponymousers that were doing the serving too (I did have a pleasant blond as my waitress). Now I shouldn't complain about a sandwich that cost me as much as the Turkey Sub at Subway the day before, but, that's what I do. If I lived in Sanford I would go back (I would have to since Hollerbach's is the only thing left open in this ghost town), but, I'm not sure I'd make this the destination in itself.

I advise them to taste the menu. Funky menu items get you noticed, but, heart burn gets you blacklisted. You're walking a difficult line with your cholesteral inducing reginal cuisine choice. You really have to get the balance perfected or you kill the flavor and the customer. I would also suggest you move. Sanford can't seem to get out of its own way of potential (case in point - that tasteless condo project on the lake - it already looks like an aged dump).

No comments: