Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Yokohama, Sanford - Closed

Today I ate lunch at new arrival Yokohama near the Seminole Mall. I had a bento box $8. It came with a salad (why can't a culture like Japan do more than iceberg lettuce and orange goop?) miso soup (watery), 3 shumai (why can't a culture like japan do better than fake crab paste?), 4 pieces of California Roll (actually might not have been prepared the night before- ok), and chicken curry (why can't....you get it). I had never had a Japanese curry and now I know why. They are incapable of incorporating any other Asian country's specialty. They whiff on the dumplings. They whiff on the curry. I could go on. This was thick and viscous and not at all appealing. It was garnished with a tasteless chunk of carrot, floret of broccoli, and tiny corn. The chicken was white meat and acceptable (about 7 pieces). It came with some rice (pasty). Now I know they just opened (because they've "coming soon" since the Spring), but, the layout wastes space (hibachi's on the right half and seats on the left) and is non-descript (huge, harrowing ceilings and bare walls). It's not going to featured in any design rags. There is a little bar area (5 seats) that I forsee being forgotten and a tiny sushi bar. The kitchen is in the rear and open. The service was a little over eager. I was scared to put down anything for fear they would ask me if I was done. I checked the menu and saw little that you couldn't get at any other Japanese restaurant. The prices were similiar. I hate to even say this (since my last visit was a disappointment - cold hot things and dry, vinegary rice) but, Fuji Sushi in Lake Mary is a better value for sushi/sashimi platters and lunch specials. The un-hibachi side was full.

I would suggest they work on the decor, give the waitresses a chill pill and try and be the first Japanese chefs to properly fuse other recipes into their repetoire. This place is no worst than many other Japanese restaurants, but it's no Hanamizuki.

1 comment:

woofboy111 said...

I was actually kind of surprised with what they did with the space. It was hard to tell that the store was formerly a fast food Mexican restaurant.

I had the hibachi when I ate there. It was even more overpriced than the nearby Kobes, but everything tasted decent enough. Read about my experience here.