Thursday, August 7, 2008

Elephant Bar, Altamonte Springs

I had lunch at the Elephant Bar at the Altamonte Mall today. I believe it's a chain (I once had drinks in one in the San Diego area). I had the Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer for $9.95. It was fair. The tuna had a little dental floss (what I call the cartilege) and was moist in some slices and dry in others. There were a lot of slices (about 12). This is going to be the theme - adequate prep with huge servings. The tuna came with a field greens salad with julianned zuchini and seaweed. The dressing was on the side (which is good if you can't trust you chef to season properly). The wasabi was dry (even happens in Sushi bars) and the ginger was acceptable. I should have stopped there, but, I was intrigued by their menu. The next course (which sits in my refrigerator) was a Jamaica Mojo Side Salad of greens, cranberries, walnuts for $3.95. I received a full salad by mistake. It's huge and looks good. I also ordered a 1/2 portion (regular is TWO lamb shanks!) of the braised lamb shank (even though I don't love lamb, I like variety) for $7.95. Yes these prices are right. It was covered in some sloppy tomato/lamb reduction sauce. The lamb was cooked properly and was an actual unadultered lamb shank. It came on top of garlic mashed potatos that were airy (kind of like TV dinner mashed potatos, but, I actually like that. I just expect they were from a box). An edamame, broccoli, zuchini, and asian cabbage steamed melange was the veg side. I think I loved that the most. I was like a free bowl full of edamame. Now 2 of the 3 plates were served with sloppy drippings from fat little fingers and the presentations were a notch short of fine dining. The first course took about a half hour to arrive and seconds on soda didn't happen until the meal was completed. But, the staff was friendly (hostess and waitresses). The manager actually made rounds and seemed concerned. The value was huge. the restaurant was appointed nicely in modern style with an open kitchen. The place was clean and packed. The mood was casual. I think it's better than say a Seasons 52 because it's so cheap and you leave stuffed like you've been to a greasy spoon. Many other dishes were interesting. Although the Asian dishes looked like they would be better in an Asian retaurant, the other items held promise. Goodbye Ruby Tuesday (the "restaurant" that used to occupy the space) and good riddance.

I would only suggest a little oil in the food prep gears and a little more attention to detail and artistry. Just because the exec chef is German doesn't mean you should plate like a barbarian. You never know when a patron with a big mouth is watching every step. Great job. It sounded like you already have a loyal following of happy customers.

No comments: