Sunday, March 25, 2012

Amici, Disney

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant on Palm Parkway (two streets off I4) on Friday. I had the Pork Chops Marsala for $16. It was dry and burnt. The cook must have been cooking on high. You do realize the temperature is adjustable? The pork chops (2) themselves were of a good quality. Thick with little fat. The marsala sauce was a total departure from the thick one I just had at Marco Dino's. What hadn't evaporated was thin. The mushrooms in it were burnt. It might have been a proper sauce if it wasn't ruined. It came with a side of quartered red potatoes seasoned with something (I forget). They weren't burned quite as much. They also offered a loaf of crouton. I say crouton because it was hard and dry. I'm not sure how many times they reheated and reserved this bread. The problem with this place seems to be management. The staff was indolent and hard to summon. I saw one couple try to walk out. You have to blame the manager when the staff isn't doing their jobs or doing them poorly. It seems that purchasing/ownership is trying to bring in quality ingredients. I could see Gordon Ramsey going ape shit over this place. The place looks like it is used for events. It's a huge, (they say seats 500) boring, dank square with low ceilings and bad embellishments. The crowd (30) was all herded into the middle of the room (which is by far the ugliest). I don't see what purpose this served except limiting the area they would have to clean up after service. Everyone was dressed as if they had just come straight from the park. The person in front of me had on so much baby powder that I almost became nauseous. I know certain ethnicities have odor problems, but, it never ceases to amaze me that they think that smelling like an undiapered baby is an improvement. I would suggest that you avoid this place. Its only purpose is to serve bad food to unwitting tourists. This wouldn't be all bad if they didn't compound the problem by marketing themselves as an upscale restaurant. They may fool people who have a limited understanding about the finer things in life, but, I'll assume that doesn't include you. And if it doesn't, then I have given you the guidance you need.

No comments: