Sunday, March 25, 2012

Club Crawl - Disney/Downtown : Kobe, Attic, Red Dragon

Friday 3/23/21012

10-11pm: Kobe - I had a beer, some sake and quail's egg sushi and grouper sashimi at this branch on Palm Parkway across from Amici. The place has its new design (bar upfront and dining rooms in back) which is tasteful and modern. I'm not sure why they serve grouper as an everyday item. It is tough and flavorless. It was sculpted into a beautiful rose design though. Great presentation. The service was prompt, accommodating and friendly. It was still full in the dining area. The bar was empty and doesn't seem like anything more than a holding area.

11pm-2am: Attic - I decided to park myself in one place for the night. It was dead until 12:30am. The place always reminds me of certain clubs in Jewish rich areas of the country/world. You see alot more Semitic looking people here than other areas of CF. Not that that is a bad thing in any way. It's just stranger to have that here instead of the aforementioned places. And if you are asking how I can tell, try and spot a 60 year old man dancing a hora at another club. He must be a relative of the owners. The base of this club is definitely their friends and family. The rest are probably locals and friends of friends of the core group. The best offshoot of such ownership is the staff. They always hire the hottest "shiksas" available. Political correctness hasn't affected their consciousness. Try and spot the unbelievable blond in black tights. Although her fake cans cheapen the effect, she is still worth the price of admission even it is free. The DJ was very good.

2am: Red Dragon Chinese Express - I stopped in at this place to take a piss, but felt I should compensate them for the inconvenience. I had Sezchuan (I know I have misspelled this) beef with white rice to go for $5. It was really good for express food. Spicy and flavorful. The beef was tender. This was my second meal here. I had a very good Chicken Curry when they first opened a month ago (it's next to Gringos on Washington in a space that used to be a Japanese place). They have tried to make the place hip. It's not great looking, but, the effort is noted. They still have an unfortunate warming area up front that cheapens the look. The owner said he was going to do away with it and cook to order. I guess that is still in committee. The place is always empty (late night) and I still question if Americans want Chinese to chase their alcohol buzz, but, I suggest you give it a whirl if that sounds appealing. The food is good and cheap. All meals are nick named for Asian characters (ie Sumo, Ninja, etc). The owner said he worked at some of the better hotel kitchens in the theme park district. I haven't had a meal there that would make me think he wasted his opportunity to perfect his cooking skills. It's open until 3am. It's also open during the day if that wasn't clear.

No comments: