Monday, March 5, 2012

Grub Crawl - Sand Lake Rd : Cariera's (Closed), Flame Kebab, Dragon China

I sampled three restaurants for lunch around Sand Lake on Friday. I also tried to find a food truck on I Drive. I never found it. I believe it was supposed to be around Fun Spot. It wasn't. They did have a sign that said they were hosting a food truck event after 5pm (FYI).

Cariera's Cucina Italiana - I'm not sure how I let this one fall under the radar for so long. They say they have been operating in the complex that WOB, Mortons, etc for 16 years. I ate there (in another life) when it was Enzo's. The inside was largely the same. They said the take out area was new. It is obviously a little more "seasoned" than the last time I ate there. They have also decorated the walls with hundreds of framed photos of customers. Cheesey or endearing according to your outlook. I had the 10" pizza for $7 not because it was the cheapest thing on the lunch menu, but, because the menu said it was award winning. It was good and more than enough for one. However, I wouldn't give it an award. Many places (Armando's, Enzo's, etc) serve a better pie. This had too much crust and not enough char. It could have used a little more time in the oven. The cheese was also pedestrian. It solidified quickly (fresh cheese has more water content and doesn't congeal in minutes). The service was pleasant and mostly efficient. They dropped the ball at a crucial stage - food delivery. I saw it sit on the counter for over seven minutes before another server noticed and came to the rescue. The place is big. It must seat 100+. It was pretty full. Most of the patrons seemed like volume shoppers. The dress was very informal. This is a working mans place. They have all your usual, over-priced Italian favorites. The meatball sub looked good. Dinner pastas start at $16 and go to $21. Dinner entrees start at $18 and go to $28. Appetizers hover around $9. I still say it is too much for this level of complexity, but, I'm obviously the only one who does. There doesn't seem to be a more popular dining proposition in the CF area for most of you (if we are to judge by the amount of these places doing business). I don't think Italians eat this much Italian food. I wish you were being charged a little less for this level of quality or expertise. But, it's your money you are throwing away and then complaining that taxes are too high. At least this place isn't a chain.

Flame Kebab - I visited this spot (same complex as Cariera's) when it was Indian. Now it's Middle Eastern. I believe the owner's are Lebanese. I had a Shish Tawook (wrap of marinated chicken cubes, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers and garlic sauce) for $6. It was good. It had some good Middle Eastern spices in it. It came with fries and a soda. The fries were horribly undercooked. The place seats about 50 in tables of four. It was empty. They added a wall facade that creates some Middle Eastern mystique. The wall art consists of French provincial landscapes (from the place that provide motels with art) that the artist has labeled with Italian names. I would guess he has never been to either place. I'm not sure how they help the Middle Eastern theme. The place seems acceptable. I'm not sure why it was empty. The people were nice. Most entrees are $15-$22. They have a pretty traditional menu.

Dragon China - This place is another I have obviously walked right past for years. It's in the complex that has Season's 52, Timpano). They said they have been there for ten years. I just recognized it when I went to that Crawfish place a few weeks ago. It's "slightly above average" for take out and "average" for sit in. They also serve sushi. I had the Moo Goo Gai Pan lunch special for $5. It was fine. It came with fried rice. I have to say that I think it is time for us all to say no to fried rice. Not because it is bad for us, but, because it seems it has become common practice to prepare mountains of this stuff in advance and let it sit until it is done. This can't be healthy. I seem to get "after effects" every time I eat Chinese takeout and I think I can pinpoint this as the culprit. I know it's risky to try and decide what in Chinese takeout is potentially poisonous, but, I am zeroing in on that mountain of pre-prepared fat. It can't be poor storage, spoiled meat and dirty hands in all these places. The place seats about 60 in a wood paneled room. It could be a little cleaner/unencumbered.

No comments: