Thursday, March 8, 2012

Grub Crawl - Winter Park/Casselberry : Cafe de France, Gokudo Food Truck, Ravalia's (Closed)

Cafe de France - This is one of the first restaurants I ate at down here. But, it was pre-blog the last time I ate there so I wanted to make sure they were included in the annals with the virgins. I had lunch there on Wednesday. It is across from the 7-11 near Fairbanks on Park Ave. I had a Sandwich au Gigot d' Agneau (Leg of Lamb) with Pomme Frites (FF) for $9. It was a cute little thing. I wish I had time to watch it grow up. I think they realized this and tried to compensate with a half plate full of fries. The lamb was a little overdone and as is the case with lamb -certain pieces are tougher and more rancid than others. This was a fifty/fifty split. You pulled out whole pieces of carcass with every bite. It came on slices of a baguette that were soaked in oil (I don't want to presume butter). The sauteed onions were similarly molested. The mound of potato stick thin fries made it a three way of grease. The healthiest component may have been the Brie cheese. It came with a side of lamb jus that gave the item some complexity. You can eat it crunchy (as is) or dip it into jus to soften the bread and ratchet up the savory component. Two different textures in one selection. Nice. The place seats about ten outside and forty inside. Most tables or two's that can be put together for larger parties. The outside was full. There were six others inside. The place isn't fussy. It has a pretty forgettable profile. There is not much that tells you it is a French restaurant. The lunch menu has eleven appetizers from $6 to $10 and eight entrees from $9 to $16. The dinner menu has the same apps and nine entrees running from $22 to $32. It's a fine choice. It's more romantic/casual than "event" dining. Don't be discouraged by what seems like a negative review. It was tasty. Just very fattening and a little penurious. Don't take my word for it. They have been in business since 1982. I believe that the current owners aren't the original owners, but, I don't know when the change occured if at all. The current owner's are surnamed Gutierrez and the chef''s is Russell. That doesn't connote authenticity, but, at least the wife and the chef are faking a French first name (maybe not faking). So, that may sooth the bigoted Francophiles out there.

Gokudo Food Truck - This is a new food truck in the parking lot near Tom and Jerry's on 17-92 near Lee Rd. They serve Asian food (five appetizers and four entrees). I had two apps. I had the Taiwanese Glazed Sausage for $3. It's a garlicky, pork sausage cut in slices and covered with a sweet, ginger, lemon grass glaze. It was fine. I'm not that hot on sweet and savory. The second app was a Malaysian Roti for $3. It is a buttery, croissant/pie crust dough that is made into a circle and cooked on the grill. It is covered with a mellow curry sauce. It's very greasy and probably very fattening. The curry was a little to liberally applied. If you give it just a thin schmear it (the taste of the curry) won't become so overpowering. This was probably a case where trying to be to generous/accommodating resulted in a lesser outcome. A topping might help balance the ratio too. They sell one with chicken or pork or tofu or steak as an entree (OG) for $9. Most entrees are $7 and up. The guys who run the truck are friendly and generous (they gave me a free ice tea - $2 value). They just moved their truck here for Kissimmee so let's show them some love. One of the partners is at least part Malayasian (not sure about the other's ethnicity). Where else are you going to find some one around here who can make any claim to having any legitimacy/ability in this type of cuisine? The rest of the menu has a Japanese vibe (so maybe the partner is Japanese). Plus the options are dwindling at this food truck outpost so you may not have a choice.

Ravalia's Pasta Bar and Rotisserie - I bought a Rotisserie Cooked Pork Grinder at this place across from the old strip club (Diamond's?) on 17-92 near 436 in Casselberry/Fern Creek. I had it to go. When I returned home, I tried a bite and continued to eat the whole thing right there and then. The pork is delicious cooked this way. It had hints of fennel seed that made it taste like sausage. And this way you aren't eating lips and dicks! Most of the pieces were fat free. They said they use pork butt which is actually shoulder. They also cook chicken and sausage (I think together) in the rotisserie. The owner's husband is Italian and they are trying to emulate the Italian way. The grinder was a little short at about eight inches. It was loaded pretty well. The bread was fine. Not the greatest roll and not the worst. They had a misprint on the menu so I'm not sure if it was supposed to come with tomato sauce and provolone. There was a hint of provolone but no sauce. I didn't care I just wanted the taste of the pork in all it's porcine glory. It did come with a jus. It was fine with it or with out it. I think what they have done is create something that brings the sausage hero guys from NY together with the shaved meat guys from Chicago and the BBQ/Grill guys from the South and the roast pork guys out West (depending on how you dress it). It came with fresh made and cut pasta that I haven't tried yet. I know I ruined it by waiting, but, I was too full. Have you been reading this article? It cost $9. So that's me. Back to them. The have six types of homemade pasta for $5. They have six kinds of sauce. They have five grinders and three deli sandwiches. They have soups, salads, desserts, meals to go, and the aforementioned rotisserie items. The place seats about fifty. It is pretty basic. The people were friendly. From the Syracuse area. I recommend you find it for this one of a kind rotisserie opportunity. Then go shoot some guns at Shoot Straight or see a dog race. *This branch closed, but, they are still open in Lake Mary.

* 11/9/14 - The last two times I went to the Lake Mary location I had bad spaghetti (way overcooked) and chicken on greens. The cooking area is a sty. They make fresh pasta and I witnessed portions of it soaking in warm water for at least a whole serving. The cook was slopping things together. He would our three quarters of a pan of sauce on one plate and a quarter on the next. No consistency or pride/concern. My salad was wilted and the chicken was obviously cooked long before hand. It's packed, but, it isn't because the food is superior anymore.

No comments: