Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A-Aki Sushi and Steakhouse, Florida Mall Area

I grabbed a roll lunch special to go from this new Hibachi/Sushi spot on Sand Lake near the mall on Friday. I got talked into it because it was before 3pm and they offered a 15% discount. That was nice, but, I later saw a sign for $1 sushi after 3pm. The rolls stunk. I had a salmon roll and an Alaskan roll (salmon, avocado and cucumber). The salmon may have been the worst I've ever had. It had no flavor. None. It looked like smoked salmon. It was cut so haphazardly that it looked like they used their hands. It came with a miso soup and a salad for $8. The place (an old Smokey Bones) is large. It must seat over 100+. One side is a bar area with seats, one is a hibachi room and the middle is a dining room with the small sushi bar at the back. It's a modern black motif. It looks like they spent a lot of money poorly. It looks nice at first glance, but, you see the bad contracting the longer you stare. I was there at an odd hour, so, it was pretty empty. I just sensed a hint of desperation in the management already. A space that big can't come cheap. I would be surprised if they get a reputation for quality, but, can't we say that about most sushi places that do hibachi. It may find a home with the non-discerning segment of the population.

No comments: