Thursday, October 23, 2014

Outrigger's Tiki Bar, New Smyrna Beach

I was on my way home on Sunday and I decided to try this other suggestion by The Sentinel. It's near the boat ramp/marina when you go over the drawbridge heading out of town. I thought the location meant it would be some salty dog dump frequented by the lower middle classes. It wasn't. It was a brand new edifice (last December) surrounded by brand new Key West inspired condos. A valet parking type of place. It's right on a tributary of the intercoastal. The outside has a bar area and a table area. There are tables inside too. It was packed. What The Grille must be the past of New Smyrna, this place is to the present. Don't get me wrong. Both places are worth going to. This place just seemed to be the new girl in town. It attracted a younger crowd. Now, it was a little disjointed (even at 4pm), but, my food came out fast once I could get it taken down. I had a yellow fin ceviche for $12. It was a little much for a martini glass that was mostly corn. However, they always job you on this item and I was ready for it. The fish was pretty good. We used to quote some movie where some guy said "Hey Coolidge, shave with an axe?". I could ask the same question on how they cut the tuna. That said, it was a big surprise and I recommend it. I lucked out on what I assumed were going to be two missions of pity in a sleepy beach town. I liked them both for different reasons. One was classic and one was hip. Choose your poison.

No comments: