Monday, February 20, 2017

Caribbean Jack's, Daytona Beach

I ate at this seafood restaurant on the Intercoastal two Sundays ago. It left a bad taste in my mouth. You continue on I4 as it becomes the International Speedway/Parkway Blvd (400?) and make a left before the bridge. That road (past the newspaper office building) becomes Bullough Rd at the next bridge for some reason. Then it's on the right at Loggerhead Marina around three hundred yards from that light. If you get to another bridge (above you), you've gone too far. You can also come in from the north on LPGA Blvd. It is your typical Floridian seafood restaurant. The ones in this class (they think higher) look the same from Sarasota to West Palm. It has a smallish interior room with nautical regalia. The majority of the seating is on the deck. The tables by the water were nicer. The tables in between are cheap plastic. The tables closer to the water block the sight lines more conspicuously. Nice foresight. Around to the right was a bar with more seats around it. There was a fire pit area nearest to the water. I had a fresh fish platter (red fish) that I swear was listed at $17 that they billed at $19. Check your bill. This is what colored my whole perception of the meal. I could have forgiven the hostess Twinkie for giving me one of those cheap plastic tables (under a speaker) for four when a perfectly available "two" in front of it was available. I upgraded myself. I could have forgiven the $3 ice tea. I could have forgiven the under done french fries. I could have forgiven them for saying the fish was grilled when it was pan or griddle fried (I actually like it better). I could have forgiven being surrounded by people who go to a seafood restaurant to "reward" themselves with cheap mimosas and fried food.  I just can't stomach thievery. Hopefully, I am mistaken. The fish was good. A whole side (filet). I also chose a potato side that was a mash up of cheese and other immemorable toppings. It was good. Small. Service was attentive and polite. The view (dolphins, etc) was serene. The crowd was pretty low class. The menu is unadventurous. Parking is limited. The convention center in across the bridge. For better or worse, it is pretty standard fare for most of coastal Florida. Probably the nicest looking in Daytona though. I think they have been open for three years. They lose points for the hokey name as well. What is it with seafood places and guys named Jack?

No comments: