Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Stubborn Mule, Thornton Park

I tried this eclectic restaurant where Sonoma used to be (S. Eola Dr) Saturday night nine days ago. I liked the "weirdness", but it is not really a restaurant. It's more of a snack shop. That and it may have left my innards in turmoil. I had a smashed salmon sandwich for $13. See what I mean about snack shop. It was pulverized salmon in tzatziki sauce with smoked pear and sauteed onions on sourdough. I ordered it because it was weird and the rest of the menu was just kooky sandwiches, flat breads or over priced appetizers. If there were entrees, they were so boring or overpriced that I have already forgotten about them or discounted them as soon as I saw them. The sandwich was pretty disappointing. I hardly tasted any pear and the salmon was fishy. The sour dough had a good chew, but, didn't taste sour. A sloppy date that didn't make up for it with enthusiasm or special skills. They also offered a side. I had brussel sprouts in a maple bacon soup. Many sprouts. Too much syrup. And I'd wager it was fake syrup. Sugar water not sap. The layout is light on indoor seating and heavy on the patio. Inside there are really just a few tables by the window and some high tops and the bar. It's more bar - restaurant than restaurant - bar. I like the decor, but, the lights at the bar burn too hot and don't really provide enough glare-less light for things like menu reading. I also liked this decor when it was Sonoma. I don't think they changed a thing. Service was good. It was packed. Mostly because the forty people they attracted didn't want to sit outside. And this is winter! The crowd was young and hip (for Orlando). They have tvs at the bar. They have been open for nine months. Go for a drink and maybe a cheap snack if they have one.

FYI - Someone opened up a new place next door also. I also went downtown to a Christmas themed bar (Frosty's?) where a Mexican place (Don Jefe's) used to be and next door to a bar called Diggers or something. Diggers had some seriously hot bartenders (crowd was ok too). And then my stomach started rumbling and I smartly called it a night.

No comments: