Monday, February 20, 2017

Grub Crawl - Port Orange: Our Deck Down Under and DJ's Deck

On my way home (Charleston) on Friday night, I popped into these two spots under the bridge (beach side) on Dunlawton Ave (SR 421 or exit 256 on I-95). The first was planned. The second was opportunism. Both were trash compared to the excellent seafood I had in Charleston. And pricing was better there too. Florida is a joke in comparison. A gap toothed buffoon of a state in jean shorts and a tank top frittering away a $300 pay check on $6 Michelob Ultras and $18 dollar fried, defrosted rubber. And I'm not talking about the customers. Though many fit that description. In Charelston I had nine "cocktail" sized FRESH shrimp for $10. At a nice raw bar. And a dozen FRESH oysters for $11 (see Pearlz). And a trigger fish sandwich at a nice spot on the water for $10 (see Fleet Landing). And that is just a sampling.

Our Deck Down Under - It's a big, open, low ceilinged box on the Intercoastal. It has a ring of tables around the enclosed interior. It seats over 200. You order at a counter. I had a thing called a special wrap because I was seafooded out and the menu bored me. It was a crab cake and shrimp in a wrap with parmesan sauce. It cost $10. The wrap was too big. It folded, in regions, to where you only chomped down on raw tortilla. The crab cake tasted bitter and fishy. It went down like a lead weight. Mushy. The shrimp (3) were ok. They were butterflied and I think cooked in garlic oil. The place is fine for yokels and tourists. The view is nice. The staff was nice. Any place with one of those crane scoop "video" game machines is not usually going to get my approval. They also didn't take Amex.

DJ's Deck - This place is on the north side of the bridge across the parking lot. It is a little smaller and cuter. It is mostly outdoor tables under palm frond umbrellas with an attached shack. I had a fried oyster sandwich to go because everything else seemed hum drum. It cost $10. See above. The oysters (5) were bland. I had to eat them like nuggets and had to use tartar sauce. A no no usually. That and a shitty bun. Some special. More boring slop for the masses. I'd love to say overpriced, but, most of the menu here and at Our Deck was "market" price. Here's a tip. People don't want to stand there and quibble and question. We are not Arabs. This is not a market bazaar. I know you think that we will just not ask out of embarrassment and you can swindle us, but, most people just move onto something that has a price and you jerk offs think it's a best seller. It's not. It's not what the people want. It's just what they settle for because you are too lazy to write down a price or are purposefully trying to fleece them. It leads to less than satisfied customers and misperceptions for you as to what the publics tastes are. Get an erasable marker out and list your damn prices!


No comments: