Sunday, February 19, 2017

Old Crow Bar-B-Que, Umatilla

I had lunch at this bbq restaurant on Highway 19 nine days ago. If you come from the south, it is just after the Ocala National Forest marker. I had tried twice before (on a Sunday after 2pm and on a Monday - also closed on Tuesday) and it was closed. I'm glad I persisted. If their sauces or under cooked potatoes weren't the cause of my bowel unease later that night, then I recommend them. I had a small rib plate (meat only) and a pork sandwich. The "small" dinner consisted of three long ribs that seemed to max out at twelve inches. I couldn't take down my pants to confirm. And they tossed in the ends of that slab for free. It cost $6. The cook on the ribs was perfect. I think they just use salt. They had nice smoke rings and bark. They use oak. I forget my lessons on hog butchering, but, I think most places split up the rib cage into baby back and whatever is on top. They serve the whole rib. This was all I needed, but, I had ordered the sandwich. It was good. They let me have a half chopped and half sliced sammy. It cost $5. I added a side for a buck. The pork was good. Some really juicy bits (the bigger ones) with some dry. This also was q'ed with no rub. It was a sizable portion of pork. The sauces were - hot, sweet and mustard vinegar. The side I had was potato salad. It was bad. Small cup of uncooked potatoes cut very lazily in large hunks. The menu is typical for a bbq place. They sub brisket for a roast beef. They also do some daily specials like pork chops. The place is small. It seats about thirty. It's not much to look at. Service was good. They don't take Amex. The best bbq I've had in that area.

No comments: