Monday, February 6, 2017

Smokehouse at Route 46, Sanford (Closed)

I tried this bbq spot (raised from the ashes) at lunch on Saturday. I thought I saw some activity here a few weeks ago when I ate Laspadas (across the street). It wasn't until a received a flyer in the mail last week that I realized what is going on. The feud that prematurely shuttered the old 46 concept has been surmounted. The one time silent partner (a culinary rookie) is now determined to give it ago on his own. I would have sworn I had eaten here before (and didn't love it), but, I can't find evidence of it in my posts. Maybe it was pre-blog. Maybe Google's search on Blogger is so terrible that even the poster can't search his own adequately. So, you get a fresh review. You would expect that four or five years of inactivity would have had a deleterious effect on the property, but, it seems to be unblemished. They said that the owner paid the upkeep through out all these years. The bar and the other edifice are still there too. The bar in functioning. The other building is reserved for private events. For those of you who don't remember (or never knew), the Smokehouse at 46 resembles a Cracker Barrel. That's all the description I feel obligated to give you. There was an antique car show going on on Saturday. The advertisement I received in the mail had an offer for the Smoked Meat Sampler for $20 ($27 usually). I looked at the "guest list" (3 lbs of brisket, pulled pork, turkey. pork ribs, AND chicken wings WITH three side AND garlic bread AND cornbread) and I said that I have to do this for my followers and for the bargain and to say FU to 4 Rivers on their $25 beef rib (singular). Even the Smokehouse charges $14 for their ribs alone. That's an extra $6 for the rest. Me no understandy economikikes. No brainer on the demand side. Thus, assured that I would get alot, it was no a question of what I would get. Would it be bad like Angel's or good like the non-Longwood outlets of 4 Rivers? It was good. Very good. Very assertive. I would say it is now my second favorite bbq joint in CF. Pig Floyd is one. 4 Rivers is three. 4 Rivers could be two if they didn't have a new, incompetent pit master in Longwood who burns and over seasons everything. Let's start with the brisket. Let's start with the simple fact that they know how to slice it. Thick. End to end. Not top to bottom. Hear me Angel's? It ain't roast beef. The bark was thick. The meat crumbled. Any dry-ish pieces could be lubed with fat. I even nuked some the next day and that short zapping woke up the oils. Did I stumble on a bbq secret? I thought it would dry it out. I believe I received about a half pound (five slices and some nubs and fat pieces) of brisket. It was smokey and peppery. Perhaps a bit salty. The pulled pork (half a melons worth) was slathered in a sweet bbq sauce. A little excessive for me, but, I did find some pork that was "naked" and it tasted delicious. Juicy. They weren't using the sauce to hide anything. The ribs come as St Louis or baby back. I think they gave me the St Louis. Doesn't that mean " sweet sauced"? Or is it the size/cut of the rib? They (4) were good. Two with little meat and two with a medium amount. They were cooked with the sweet sauce. Very crispy, peppery, bark-y and unctuous (oily). They fell apart as well. The wings (6) were smokey. They had some sort of glaze (mostly burned off) on them. They were too salty and the skin was rubbery and fell off. Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of any smoked wings. They are better fried. I did nuke the skin for my chicken chicharron though. So, the skins weren't discarded. These wings were moist though. The turkey was ok. I don't love it with smoke. I think smoke is like red wine. Red/pink meat only. These three large slices were a tad salty and spongy. I diced them and threw them in with some rice and Korean taco sauce that I didn't use on tacos. It actually didn't suck. I chose potato salad, fries and mac and cheese as the sides. The potato salad was made with a sweet mayo, white onion and celery seed. The potatoes were a little dry. They didn't overuse the mayo. It was ok. The fries could have been crisper. They were skin ons. The mac was wild. They use some shape of pasta I have never seen. It looked like the spine/back of a dragon. It wasn't very cheese-y. They sprinkled some cheese throughout, but, the sauce lacked cheese. It tasted like cream and flour and butter. This of all things could have used more salt. Maybe it is intended to be a foil for the salty meats? The side sizes were small. Those individual little styrofoam cups. The bread in the "garlic bread" was nice and thick. I hate this accoutrement, so, the fact that I ate it is testament enough. The corn bread was ok. A little dry and crumbly. Spongy though. A slight taste of something sweet. Honey? It must be eaten the same day or I bet it will really dry out. Do I need to tell you that I had FOUR sumptuous meals (and some breakfast sneaks) from this "picnic"? It was outlandish. So glad they are in my world. They re-opened in September. I wish I had known earlier. I always liked this psuedo-theme park/ghost town. It has a fun 1950's vibe. I'll be around alot, I think. Oh, you order at the counter and they bring the food. I'm still trying to figure out if this set up lets a restaurant employ fewer waitresses and if so is it for their bottom line or does it ensure that the wait staff generates higher tip totals or less work. Anyway. Ignore that. But, don't ignore this. They also have burgers, sandwiches, salads, meatloaf (don't let yours), etc. They also have a kids menu and do catering. It was full. It seats about seventy inside and unlimited outside if you are willing to pull up a curb. It is on the downtown Sanford side of I4.

3/4/2017 - Went back for a brisket sandwich. It sucked. Opposite of the kind of brisket I had last time. Thin. Fatty. Sinewy. They try and hide the unbecoming parts in the sandwiches I guess. And two sandwiches would have cost near what the whole meal I had last time cost. Based on this meal, I would be wary of everything but the Sampler. Plus they seem to be hosting some event every weekend that ties up all the parking spots and attracts alot of undesirables.

1/29/18 - Went back for a brisket sandwich. This time it was great. The potatoes in the potato salad were a bit under cooked. They get a reprieve.

No comments: