Thursday, February 2, 2017

Grub Crawl - Tavares: Sinbad's Bar and Grill and Angel's Soul Food and BBQ

I took to go meals at these two restaurants on 441 on Sunday afternoon. The first is near the on the lake just as you enter Tavares form the east. The other is closer to Mt Dora on Burleigh Blvd. They are both on the same side of the street.

Sinbad's Bar and Grill - I had a grouper sandwich with potato salad for $13. It was ok. The tail and edges had evidence of freezer burn or age (dry), but, the middle was moist. They clobbered it with a spice rub like true PWT. They also lacquered up the roll with some kind of butter or butter substitute. The greens (et al) were soggy. Can the fish just speak for itself? The potato salad was so sweet that I'm glad they only gave me a "shot" of it. The two hush puppies were fine. I won't address the interior design because they said that a major overhaul is coming in two weeks. I'm sure it will "improve" the look. I'm not sure it will improve the experience. This place is so laughably bad looking that it has character. They have a barbeque pit IN the dining room. They let people write on the ceiling tiles. BTW if sociologists ever conducted a study on what modern Americans find important as illustrated by what they choose to glorify in print if given the chance - the answer is - where they reside, who they are banging and what sports team they identify with. No wisdom. No quotes. No profundity. Just those three inane topics over and over again. I'll bet they demanded to express themselves and then came up with that. The place also looks like it is about to fall into the lake. Like I said. it is so bad that it is good. The service was friendly. It took a while. The place was pretty full at a non-peak hour. The fat lady at The Sentinel (and my waitress) says thy are known for pork and wings.

Angel's Soul Food and BBQ - I stopped here because my initial design was to have bbq at another place that closed at 2pm. I was thwarted once again. They really can't do bbq if the brisket sandwich ($12) is any indication. Now I will say that the fried chicken I saw others leaving with looked excellent. I probably should have tried the oxtail, but, I wanted bbq at all costs. The brisket was like the roast beef it resembled. Tough. Tasted like burger. No smoke. No bark. I'd bet it was cooked in an oven. And not low and slow. They slice it like roast beef. Six slices. I asked for sauce on the side. They doused it. It took forever to come out. I think these idiots just do the orders FIFO style and don't segregate the orders based on ease of completion. The bun was nothing special. A sweet bun so we could enjoy sweet on sweet. The potatoes in the potato salad were either under cooked or stale. They put something odd (like nutmeg) in it. The place is such an ugly mix of those cheap art pieces that you see at flea markets and shitty design outlets and moldering wood that you see why most people take their meals to go. The crowd was surprisingly integrated. Although, it did seem that the white folk took their meals to go. They started in Sanford and have one other place elsewhere. The prices are higher than they deserve to be and the non-Soul food is suspect, so, you decide. I know enough slop houses (and I am assuming they do Soul food well) to let this one slip away. They made a big deal about adding the bbq part to the Soul food menu at this location. Don't buy in.

No comments: