Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Slate, Sand Lake Rd - Closed

I had lunch at this eclectic restaurant with a Southern soul around two weeks ago. I thought it was new, but, they have been open for two years. They are in a strip mall past Via Dellagio (away from I4) that houses a Trader Joe's. I liked it alot. I had a bowl of gemelli pasta with spinach, corn and shrimp in a basil cream sauce for $16. It was delicious. The portion size was huge. The shrimp (4) were large and fresh and properly cooked. Very nice. I went the Italian route because I was about to embark on thirty hours of travel and did not need a fire down below. I would gauge that probability at around a half of a percent at a place like this, but, my apprehension didn't cost me a good meal. I just ended up with starch. It's now two weeks since I ate here, so, excuse the peripatetic review. The menu had a fair representation of Italian dishes to go with the American fare. They also have a wood burning pizza oven. I recall a filet that cost around $6 an ounce (8 oz portion). I apologize to STK for saying they overcharge. I guess filet goes for $6 an oz. I remember sandwiches. I remember Southern stuff like pulled pork. I remember fish. You have enough choices. Dinner prices were raised. I think my dish went up to $19. They use most of same ingredients for the lunch menu as the dinner menu. They just implement them in different ways to avoid apple to apple price comparisons. Entree pricing averaged $30. The place looks nice. There is a center area that has a square bar towards the back. That area is "surrounded" by most of the seats. One side has window views. I remember two types of wood on the ceiling. There was a fireplace. I remember hexagon shaped tiles on the floor, garage doors between the "moat area" and the bar, iron work, gas lighted sconces and black paint. It seats around eighty. Maybe more. It is a one off. No chain. I was very happy with it. Service was attentive, attractive and informed. Parking can be a pain because of the Trader Joe's puppies. It may well end up on the favorites list. Plus it has no "+" to its name.

No comments: