Saturday, August 8, 2020

Bao's Castle, SoDo

 I tried this bao shop almost two weeks ago at lunch. I grabbed a Mad King and a Baoser's Buddy to go. One was short rib and the other was pork belly. I can't remember which was which. The King cost $4.50. The Buddy cost $4.25. They were ok. Pre-prepped stuff slapped together. The bun was a little cold. The toppings not so fretted over. They had six or so others. A breakie and a vegan one, I think. A fried chicken one. That's all I remember. They are in that older condo complex with the Target. Near Michigan. On South Orange and West Crystal Lake. The place is small. Some (what I think are) Mario Bros (or cart) murals. It's also dawning on me that the names are derived from that franchise. It has been a while since I played. There aren't a ton of bao places in town, so, I wouldn't fault you for trying it. They could put in a little more effort though. It's more of a defensive fort now. I think they opened a few months ago.

*Some random facts about pork I've heard over the last few days. Pork ribs should shrink back from the ends of the bone when cooked long enough. Stevie Raichlen says. He also showed an interesting recipe for "mustard seed caviar". You soak them in vinegar. In areas near Muslim countries, pork can surprisingly be on the local menu. It is because those conquered peoples knew the Muslims wouldn't steal pigs. Remember those outbreaks in slaughterhouses a few months back that they said were necessary to keep the food supply chain open. The ones at Smithfield sent most of (if not all) the food to Va-China. 

That reminds me. Did I write about how the government is now using the plandemic to monitor the food supply chain? They are using some law/regulation enacted to protect our military's supply chain from bad actors on agriculture because that is now seen as essential. Not only is Big Brother on board,  Big Businesses (like Walmart and Amazon and Tyson and Cargill) love it because it creates administrative hardships ($) on smaller competitors and gives them all sorts of information on the merchandise and the end user. Every sub-component will be chipped and cataloged. Every non-compliant item/supplier will be excluded. They will use DNA sampling and the like to trace back the origins of "black market" items and producers. If you use "improper" seed for instance, they will trace it back to you and do lord knows what. Fun times. But, who cares? We can shake our asses on Tik Tok.

No comments: