Sunday, August 30, 2020

Bombay Chaat Cafe, Longwood *CO/KS Travel Notes

I tried this little stall at the Spice House market on 434 (near 17-92) on Saturday. What I purchased served as lunch and dinner. I was told about it by some people I met at Genetic Brewery a few months ago. Since they are only open on the weekends (and I am always wary of Indian before travel on a plane), it took me a while to follow up. Glad I did. They serve a "street food" menu representative of Bombay (Mumbai). Or so I'm told. Never been. I tried Batata Vada (baked balls similar to samosa) at $3 for 2. Same potato, etc filling in a thin, baked dough. Probably chick pea flour. Healthier than samosa. Not as tasty though. Fried is better. Whodda thunk it. Just at the edge of tolerable (heat wise) for most pale skins. It came with that black liquid (dipping sauce) that I think is tamarind and vinegar. I also tried two of the special meals. The first was Ragdha patties at $6. This is a fried potato "cutlet" covered in a green pea sauce. Ragdha is the stew. Not sure what was in what, but, there were flavors of onion, chutney and tomato. Not spicy. The "sauce" had whole peas in it. Starchy and still thin. Too much sauce to cutlet. I had to use the extra as a dip. Topped with some fried sticks like they put on lo mein. For dinner I had the Samosa Chaat at $6. This was what they do with leftover samosas. They tear them apart and cover them with bhel poori. Chick peas, tomato, onion, sev (noodles), chutney, tamarind sauce and yogurt. It was ok. Bigger portion than the Ragdha. Liked the yogurt element. They made all the dishes to order. The menu was pretty big. One man and daughter (I think) operation. Open for a year. I think the market has had other people in this spot. I'm not sure where exactly you can try Bombay style street food. That alone warrants a visit. I had no intestinal issues. All the items are vegetarian. In today's grab and go world, I think this type of place is right up our alley. The market is good as well.

*Travel Notes - CO/KS: A few things I tried on my last trip. Still unaffected by the scary plague. Ham and Turkey on an inverted bun at Professor's Sandwich Shop in Hays KS. Actually made the bun taste worse. Tahk Omakase Sushi (not cheap) in Steamboat Springs had red cut throat. That turned out to be a river trout. A few places were offering pickled mushrooms. Not a new food thing, but, the Huntington House Tavern at the Grand Lake Lodge in CO had a great view. Last food thing was a venison jerky bar at Natural Grocers near the airport in Denver. Oh yeah and smoked gouda potato chips at a gas station (their brand) in Colorado Springs CO. Good brewery in Breckenridge CO. Broken Compass.

No comments: