Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Grub/Pub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Norwood's Eatery and Bar and Sugar Works Distillery

 I tried these two places around ten days ago. The first is on the left after the light after the overpass over the intercoastal. The second is before the overpass on the right in a strip mall behind a Wawa.

Norwood's Eatery and Bar - This was the first place I tried on my first visit to NSB. It was pre-blog. I sat in the "treehouse". It is an elevated area above the restaurant. It brings out the Swiss Family Robinson in me. I had a shrimp cocktail ($10) and the seafood pot pie ($13.50). The shrimp (8) in the cocktail were fairly good. Decent size. Decent firmness. Eight is alot. I was happy with that selection. The pie was also good. A little odd. It had a floor and a ceiling but no walls. Or - no walls of crust. I've had it (lazily) topped with a shell. But, I've never seen it "carpeted" with one. It was supposed to come with fish and shellfish. I believe I encountered three types of fish. Salmon (easy to spot). Mahi (what they said would be in there). And maybe tilefish (or some tougher species cut into chunks). All good. For scraps. It also came with 4 shrimp, 2 scallops (no abductor muscle but likely not cookie cut fish), Diced carrots and peas. White sauce. No complaints. Very filling. The menu has most of what you'd expect at a seafood restaurant. They try and upscale it a bit. Downstairs there is an ashram type patio (Buddha themed). Inside are two bars. One small one for the hard stuff. One inside where they usually are. The tree house also has a bar. It's decor is gray colored wood and glass windows, The inside seats around seventy. Maybe the same outside. Service was good. Plating was clean. Parking is adequate. It was pretty full for 2pm. Still one of the better options in town. They have been in business for a while.

Sugar Works Distillery - Open two years. Ex-architect/professor owner. Whiskey, rum and moonshine. 3 types of each. I bought their regular rum for $25. Haven't tried it yet. They said they are available in over 70 restaurants and bars (mostly locally). Place looks new and clean and nice. Smallish. Good swag.

*I have three more posts (local) coming this week. Probably will put a free day between them.

No comments: