Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Black Olive, Downtown - Closed

I had dinner at this Mediterranean Italian restaurant on Pine St last Friday. I had the grilled octopus for around $10 (I lost the receipt) and the scallops for around $24. The octopus was served in an attractive bowl/dish with some microgreens. The octopus was a tad overcooked. The scallops came on a plate with swashes of yellow sauce at the edges and bean hash below the 4 crustaceans. The scallops were plump. The hash was a bit bland, but, at least it was an original accompaniment. It also came with a slice of fried proscuitto which was why I ordered it, but didn't add much to the course. The place has an operatic feel which reminded me of an Austrian restaurant David Bouley used to have. The cielings are high. The decor aims at being received as high end. They have a glass enclosed wine room/private room. They have a piano with chanteuse. The service was attentive. It seats about 100. It was half full at 9pm. The crowd was foppish. It was good, but, just missing something. It didn't feel lived in. It didn't have an aura or personality. I find that I feel that way when I frequent a restaurant that is part of a chain. This is not so I don't know why I picked up that vibe. It's the difference between the show room of a rental property and one that is actually lived in.

No comments: