Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pesca, Downtown - Closed

I had an early dinner at this sushi/seafood restaurant on Lake Eola next to Starlight Lounge yesterday. It was an uneven meal. The good - happy hour rolls ($2 off), great booth view of the lake, nice service. The bad - not all seats overlook the lake, the decor is a mish mosh, they gave me Coke instead of DC, the sushi rice was old and coarse, the fish didn't have much flavor (probably hadn't defrosted yet). The rice was the big let down. I know it should be al dente but I really think it was just old not undercooked. If it was warm then maybe they could argue cooking preference. The place definetly strives to be first class. But, I would wager that they can't pull off the extensive menu. When I see one of these Cheesecake Factory like menu's, I start to worry. It's hard to be an expert at all these dishes at the same time. They did sound good though. The restaurant has a sushi area, an ugly middle room and the expansive lake side room with bar. This room has high cielings and some type of artistic ambition. The bottles of wine on wine crates have to go. You're not a steakhouse or cheesy Italian Trattoria. I would also try and cram more tables into the main room. It looks a little empty and no one should be taunted into sitting in that Siberian middle room. It's like having a seat at the children's table when the adults are sitting in the main dining room. I'm sure they say it's for private functions, but, even they will feel screwed when they see the lake view room. It's not open for lunch - a waste. I hope it means they are doing well enough that they don't need to bother. But, why waste that view when it can be seen. I'm sure it isn't as nice at night. It seat 100+. It was mostly empty at 5pm. And that is another thing. The sign on the door says 7pm-11pm, but, another sign outside says 5pm-11pm. Which is it? The wine list was good.

No comments: