Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mings, Colonial

I attempted to recover from my Azteca experience at this Chinese restaurant just one block behind 50 at 17-92. I had Har Kow (Steamed Shrimp Dumplings). They were great. Large quantities of real shrimp. Properly cooked noodle coating. They serve Dim Sum all week. Thank God they do it right because we don't have many options and usually only on weekends. The place is typical Hong Kong drab - monochrome. Glass chandeliers over round white clothed tables (covered with glass). Gross fish tanks with today's catch. View of the kitchen. There is no real (any) effort given to sartorial splendor. It cracks me up. It's so unappetizing but so ubiquitous. Throw in the cranky owner/cashier and you've got your unintentional franchise strategy. They seat about 100 in mostly large tables. It was about 1/4 full at 2pm. It doesn't seem to be an absolute insider secret. I can't wait to try the rest.

1 comment:

Bee Happy said...

Once you get to know the owner, she is very nice - ask for suggestions and you will discover why the Cantonse folks eat there. Congi is great and homemade Chow Fun. She will make off the menu items like tofu General Tso and is very responsive to I don't likes and I'm allergic to...