Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Uncle Henry's, Maitland - Closed

I had lunch at this Country Kitchen in between 436 and 17-92 on Howell Branch Road today. I had The Country Boy (3 eggs over hash browns, sausage lumps and smothered in white gravy with toast) for $5.95. It must be called The Country Boy because you will never become a Country Man if you eat this regularly. It wasn't bad, but, it was covered with sooo much gravy that I couldn't will myself to finish it. I picked at it. I tried to scrape away as much gravy as possible, but, it was impossible. Now let me re-iterate. It wasn't prepared badly and the other items are probably cooked with equal care, but, this plate in particular was the wrong order for me.

That said. The place is a cute southern country restaurant. You will know it's Southern by the whisky voiced waitresses and good old clientele. This place makes Cracker Barrel look urbane in comparison (not that there is anything wrong with that). It has a very homey appeal. It looks like a Granny's sun room. It even has a sun unbrella at the bar. It seats about 80. It was 3/4 full at 12. It's only open from 6am to 3pm (2pm on weekends). It's cheap. They serve big portions. It was pretty clean (plastic glass was a little sticky). The service was fast and polite. The cashier was hot.

No comments: