Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Boston Fish House, Sanford - Closed

Today I had lunch at this seafood restaurant on Rinehart Rd in Sanford near the 7-11. Strangely, I was watching a PBS special late last night on architecture that looks like objects and they visited a place I went to last summer called the Clam Box in Ipswich Mass. So I was really in the mood for some fried clams. I have to say that I think the world famous Clam Box had inferior food. Definitely more greasy. I had a "lunch meal" of fried clam strips with two sides (Cole Slaw and French Fries) for $9. You could have had onion rings, mashed potatos and some other things. The clams were recognizable and the batter came out oil free. The portion was large. They didn't even get rank after sitting long enough to get cold. They got cold because the great staff kept plying me with free samples. They gave me 5 large pieces of fried catfish which were of equal quality as the clams. They gave me clam chowder. It was a bit sweet for my taste, but, the clams in it were enormous. It was more thin than thick and at $7 a bowl it may be a bit overpriced. The cole slaw was also a bit too sweet. The sugar granules didn't dissolve (which I actually thought was cool from a texture POV). The fries looked outstanding, but, they had that awful Burger King starch coating on them and were somehow underdone though they looked crisp and golden. Most dishes (even at lunch prices) are over $9. The lobster roll was $24! Isn't lobster at it's cheapest in decades? It has that "half service" service. You order. They deliver. The service was on a rotation basis. No one dropped the ball. I was double covered all game (err meal). Plenty of refills and answers to questions. The place was packed. I almost left before ordering because I thought I wouldn't get a seat and they didn't take AMEX. Turns out they did and they turned the tables fast enough that I didn't wait a second. The clientele was mostly post Gen X. The decor is similar to when it was American Pie or the place after that. They still have flat screens on the wall. The soda area is now empty. Maybe they should put a counter there to free up tables. Quite a few booths or 4's were taken up by singles. It seats about 70. It's funny. A month ago we didn't have one seafood restaurant worth a damn and now we have two. This is more of a traditional New England style option than Fresh On The Fly. It may be too expensive or caloric for everyday dining, but, pencil it in once a month.

No comments: