Friday, March 19, 2010

Journey's at Alaqua, Lake Mary - Closed

I had lunch at this restaurant in the Golf Club in Alaqua (are there more architectural anathemas in one spot in the country?) on Tuesday. For some reason they tore down the old edifice (which was nicer) to put up this little loft that has zero character. I had the Airline Chicken Breast with Risotto for $12. The chicken was a little small (think anemic, farm raise guinea hen) with a drumstick the size of my thumb. But, I understand the mentality of a fine dining establishment. It's got to be ORGANIC. I ordered it seared, but, that must mean burn the skin. It was moist inside, however. The risotto portion was large, but, I found it a bit cloying. It was very starchy (unwashed?) and the seasoning (I believe some kind of cheese) only added to that. They also added two asparagus stalks that didn't compliment the risotto. Perhaps they were to be decorative. It's a shame the execution was a bit below what they usually deliver. I would wager that I had the B team kitchen since I was the only patron accounted for on that day. The table setting was nice. The waiter was great. The place has high ceilings and seats about 100. They have a bar. It has that faux luxe feel of a hotel dining room. It looks unfinished. My meal was by far the cheapest thing on the menu and dinner prices were about double. Surprisingly, they were below the $2 level on sodas. They have alot of ambitious menu items that you can't find everywhere. They just need to tighten up the execution.

No comments: