Monday, November 18, 2013

Grub Crawl - Downtown : NY Deli, What's Your Beef, Big Wheel Provisions

NY Deli - Orange Avenue - I had a grilled cheese at this non-descript cafe across from the Suntrust building. Everything looked average at best and I had bigger fish to fry so I settled for this bland excuse for a grilled cheese made in a panini press. I don't even think the bread was buttered. It's a small shop that survives because of it's proximity to the office workers above it. They must be easy to satisfy.

What's Your Beef - Washington St - I had an Italian Beef sandwich at this deli/cafe a few blocks north. I didn't grow up on these things so I guess it was a good representation. I just think all Mid Western fare is unimaginative and boring. This was warm roast beef slices in a roll and dunked in broth. Yawn. Maybe it will bring back childhood memories for you? The place is small and rectangular. It's mostly counter. They serve a variety of hot dogs, sandwiches, salad and breakfast.

Big Wheel Provisions - Washington St - Right across the street from Beef, this food truck is really interesting. The menu is all over the place and the portions are small, but, it delivers flavor. I had a sopprassetta (it's like salami) sandwich on a baguette with field greens, cucumber slices, shaved white asparagus that was sweetened and pickled, mayo and some sort of cheese. It was wonderful. I actually felt better after eating it. Is that what freshness can do to you? It was $6.50. They had about half dozen entrees and a few amuse bouches. They said they change it up regularly. Check it out.

I have no idea why this post was redated when I edited it. I went to these places over two years ago.

No comments: