Monday, November 18, 2013

Grub Crawl - Deland: Santorini, Mr. Bill's Donuts and Pat & Toni's Sweet Things

I cobbled together a food adventure on Friday after I learned that Cress is too successful to service the lunch crowd. I really should call ahead.

Santorini - I ordered a pork souvlaki to go because I always do chicken and most Greek dishes are over priced in my estimation. I've been watching this hairy munchkin named Yannis' The Cooking Odyssey cooking program and he must have subconsciously crept in. It ran me $6. The pork in these sandwiches is usually sinewy and full of fatty, chewy nonsense. This was all palette pleasing white meat. It wasn't even dry/overcooked. The portion was enormous. Usually you get to the bottom of the pit "cone" and it's all rabbit food. You usually have to save a few pieces that have tumbled out of the front of the sandwich and stuff them into the last bites. Not so here. It was pork to the bottom. The tzatziki was nice too. Just a hint of Horseradish. The apologist who commented on the Meditteranean Blue review should encourage his homeboys to drive up here and learn a thing or two. The pita was fresh and spongy. The lettuce and tomato could have been a little fresher, but, they usually could. I had the sandwich to go because the place (though small) was packed. It's a usual Grek menu with some interesting specialties. A bit more seafood than the Greek places around here. The service people were friendly. The food was ready in an acceptable period of time. The place is small and not too appointed, but, it's a good representative of Greek cooking.

Mr Bill's Donuts - I just had a $1 regular donut because I was stuffed and I wasn't convinced by the cover of this book that the sandwiches, etc they serve would be judged delicious. The donut (almost out of everything) was freshly made and respectable.

Pat & Toni's Sweet Things - Two bites into my chocolate bacon strip I asked myself - "How long does cooked bacon stay eatable"? Doesn't really matter because I won't be having it again. At least without a better quality of chocolate. To me it's a bad marriage. And one that gets worse the more you see of it. Maybe as an accent. This caprice cost me $2. I also had a little cluster of chocolate covered potato chips that some how came to $3. I should have asked the same question of this as I did of the bacon. The answer would be - not as long as they offer them for sale. These things were rancid. The started giving me stomach cramps. I also tried a cluster of chocolate covered frosted flakes. A little better than the chips, but, I think they were turning too. I'd advise you to avoid the chocolate covered "naturally occuring" items. Stick with science experiments like twinkies and gummy bears. The place has a lot of candy. I think their questionable milk chocolate is a remnant of amother era. An era of ignorance. Don't settle for this poor relation.

No comments: