Sunday, November 3, 2013

Grub Crawl - Antiques District: Santiago's Bodega, Cindy's Tropical Cafe (Closed) and The Hammered Lamb

I ate at these restaurants around the Antiques district on Wednesday.

Santiago's Bodega - I was sitting at this tapas restaurant on Virginia (between the antiques district and downtown) preparing a diatribe against tapas in general and this place in particular, when the food came. I had a Spanish Board for $12. I was expecting some yellowfin debris and some greasy potatoes and a grisely piece of pork and an unsatisfied tummy. I received a nicely marinated yellowfin ceviche, an unbelievably tasty pot of potatos and a superb piece of pork loin. The ceviche was done correctly with citrus juice. The pieces were lightly seared. Not drowned in caustic liquid. The portion was huge. Around ten ounzes on fish cut into three large junks. It was complimented with onions, avocado, mango and herbs. The potatoes had some heat and worked to balance the ceviche's brightness. The pork (pincho) came on a skewer and added savouriness. It came with a chutney (with mango pieces on top) that added sweetness. It was cooked perfectly. A fully rounded, smartly conceived meal. I've talked to others who have eaten here and the staff and they confirm the portion sizes here redeem the name of tapas. I find they usually charge you post-sushi level prices for hors d'oeuvres. Some just picked from a can. A real curiosity and a possible explanation for their continual fiscal incompetency. It's just too much for what they barter in exchange. Not here though. Each dish is a meal unto itself. The selection is less than Ceviche downtown, but, they have a fair selection and serve much larger portions. They even throw in some Greek elements. The place has an outdoor patio that seats around thirty, a bar that seats about forty and a skinny main room that seats fifty. The place has that Spanish ranchero feel. It's a little gypsy-ish with its bric a brac and chandelier melange. The ceiling is brown. The walls are burnt earth tones with yellow and red elements. The wall art was a bit odd. Like a modern El Greco collection. The service was responsive enough to handle the other rooms and myself. I had been waiting for them to open for a while and I'm happy to say I was not disappointed. Worth finding.

Cindy's Tropical Cafe - I had a small Cuban sandwich to go for $5 from this cafe on Virginia. I ate it for dinner. Pefectly fine. The place is kind of a dump. It has been under this ownership for thirteen years and around forever. They serve some special Cuban meals on Tuesday and Thursday. The rest of the time it's menu is basically cheap deli fare.

The Hammered Lamb - I had a lamb pita to go for $10 from this pub looking spot on North Orlando. It was unbelievable and capped a good day of eating. The lamb was served pulled pork style in a pita. They must have cooked it in all spice or cumin. It had wonderful flavor. The pine nuts added another element. It came with an ok cold penne pesto salad. I should have ordered ten and frozen them. I'd go back just to try that again. Since it's the only pulled lamb dish I have encountered in the area, I would recomment you go just for that. They seem to also have a perfectly acceptable bar as well. It has an outdoor patio and plenty of games of skill inside. The menu is limited (ten items or less), but, some it had some interesting combinations. Good find. They have been open for just under a year. Parking is a pain. Try the park lot across the street if you get desperate.

No comments: