Friday, November 22, 2013

Grub Crawl - Mt Dora: Windsor Rose, Pices Rising and The Goblin Market

I ate at these restaurants around the main street (Donnelly) in the afternoon on Sunday.

The Windsor Rose - I had chicken and leeks which turned out to be a pot pie. I thought I read the description close enough, but, I guess I did not. It was a ramekin pot pie with a pastry top. I usually find this short cut to be off putting, but, the pie was good. The vegetables were fresh and the "gravy" wasn't too salty. The pastry wasn't raw or burnt. The portion size was adequate. I didn't love that they used pre-shredded commercial chicken. It was way too perfectly and uniformly shredded to be home made. It came with an acceptable field green salad. The place is an English Tea Room. It's mostly girls who have traded their dolls for real people. Some were even reliving the pantomime by donning "prop" hats they provide their patrons. No fear of lice? The decoration is composed of culturally appropriate photos, signage and curios. Lots of "royal" love. They serve "high" teas, sweets and mostly English styled meals. My meal was around $12. The service (4 or 5) was good. They all switched in and out. They are in costume. The place is on 4th in between Donnelly and N. Alexander. They have a Sunday breakfast that I was too late for. The place actually got more crowded after 1:30. It seats about 70.

Pices Rising - I was going to just save this place for another time because it has a nice view of the lake, but, I accepted that I don't come here as often as I say I will and they baited me with a boast about having the best fish in Florida. After perusing the composition and prices on/of the menu (barely any fish on it/slightly high prices) and consulting my watch (past two), I decided the best course of action was to just get something at the outside bar. I settled for a crab cake for $9 (plus the price of having to listen to a live entertainment). I figured it would give me some indication of their ability with fish and they were also boastful about how this had no fillers. Predictably, the cake stunk. All claw meat and half cooked. I knew they were full of it. However, if you want a nice-ish view and some nice-ish food then buy into the hype. Maybe they do deliver if you take the time to dine inside. I'm just not wasting my money or time to find out. The service was polite and the meal did come out quickly. It's on 4th after N. Alexander. It seats over 100.

Goblin Market - The place I wanted to eat at all along. They were full (seats around 80) and I should have just taken the bar seat offered. However, I did wind up with a very good Kurobutas (aka Black Berkshire's in Japan) porkbelly sandwich to go. The bun was good. The pork was good. The orza salad was good. The flat sided french fries were good. The sauteed rhubarb green topping was good (and a first). And this was after it survived a car ride home and some time on the counter. They even wrapped it intelligently with a tin foil cover to keep the food warm. The only downer was that they charged me $13.50 instead of the $12.50 on the menu. That and that I didn't get to eat in this cute, little place. It has two cute patios. I will be saying cute often. One in the front and a cuter one in the back. It has two, cute, first floor nooks. It has a cute second floor dining area and a cute bar. It's a converted home. Lots of charm. Very B and B. The menu is smart. The food came out quickly. They said it has been around for 17 years. My guess is that it is the best place in town. It will be fun finding out if my hunch is right. En vogue/urbane food without pretentiousness. It's in an alley between 3rd and 4th and in between Donnelly and N. Alexander.

I also suggest that you consider a lake tour. They have a $28 one that is two hours and a one hour that is $20. That was at the pier off 4th. They had others at the Inn.

No comments: