Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Grub/Pub Crawl - College Park: Hangar Bar (Closed), Soda Fountain, Alfonso's and Ollie's

Here be (I feel like speaking like a pirate) three resturant/bars that have changed ownership since I last went to them (must have been pre-blog because I couldn't find mention of them when I searched) and one new ice cream shop that are all on Edgewater Dr. I went there on Friday night.

The Hangar Bar and Grille - Two things don't fit here at this unremarkable franchise wannabe - the snippy host(ess) and the well crafted food. I wish I could have been more of an acolyte for the menu, but, the aforementioned queen soured me on the place almost immediately. Not because he she was "born that way", but, because this average working man thinks gay means class or means not ostentation and vulgarity. You must know that you aren't even skilled enough to be a server. This is where the manager puts the high school girl with no job experience that he wants to bang. Dial down the pretentiousness. You have nothing to be pretentious about. My first piece of advice to management is to explain the pecking order to this fop. This is not an en vogue New York club. This is a sports bar, that by the looks of it, is barely scraping by. Look up obsequious and adjust. On to the food. I would have ordered the $25 mixed grill if not for Fruity Peebles and the fact that they didn't have the chorizo (25% of choices) and they offered chicken, but, it wasn't on the menu so I didn't know what kind it would be. The waitress couldn't clear it up and didn't seem to understand why this would be an issue. I wasn't going to trust a sports bar with steak or tuna (the remaining options). That may have been a mistake because the pulled pork sandwich I did order ($9) was really good and came out hypersonically. The fries they were paired with were also good (if starch coated) and plentiful. I did eschew the soda refill because I was scared Fruity may have tried to have it adulterated. So, nah nah nah if you did. Like I said, the place smells of theme envy. I wouldn't mind so much if I just didn't feel that they were going for something that could be reproduced mechanically. The place is where the old Harmoni and Wildside were. The layout is similar. I'm not sure if they expanded to another room or not. I wasn't here when it was Wildside. The corner section has the bar and window seating. The "inside" room has booths, tables and house the open kitchen (where they wanted to inconvenience me in an empty, unreserved dining room). It's clean and wooden and full of aviation themed wall hangings. The menu was gastro-pubby. It has flat screens that were tuned to sports. I'm not going out of my way to come back here, but, I wouldn't discorage you. Lunch is especially sensible. Most of those meals were under $10.

The Soda Fountain - I had a Banana Foster's single scoop cone at this gourmet aspiring dessert shop that cost under $3. It was delicious. You know I don't even like sweets. Great flavors and texture. Made with expertise. The place is cute too. They just opened two weeks ago. You really shouldn't be getting your ice cream anywhere else in the area. I think they change the flavors regularly.

Alfonso's Sports Bar - I wish I could remember the Irish Pub this was and the thing it was before then. I can't. McSorely's? Any way. Nothing has changed except the menu. Instead of predictable American fare with some Irish to it, it is now predicatble American fare with some pizza to it. Take your fat American family here and wallow in your own fecund crapulence or lower your insulin levels with pitcher's of beer and then accept anything that is put in front of you. That's what places like this are for. Of course they had to have an annoying band of forty somethings. We don't want to watch you play pick up basketball and we don't want to hear you play The Heat Of The Moment.

Ollie's - Hopefully occuping a higher level on the bar food pyramid is this old Jax (from the people who brought you FinnHenry's Downtown). I didn't eat here, but, the beer and liquor selection (and patron's promises) makes me believe they care more about what you put in your body than Alfonso's. The beer was cheap. The selection was varied. The place is cute. They still have the patio. It looks similiar to the old Jax. Maybe a little nicer. It's near the high school.

No comments: