Saturday, November 2, 2013

Oblivion Taproom, 50

I stopped in here for a beer and ended up supplementing the meger dinner I had just had. The place answers the question - what would happen if you combined a Dungeon and Dragoners den with a Heavy Metalers garage and served alcohol. I had a Seaside Tony for $13. It was nasty. It's my own fault. I had to try something called pork roll that they had on another sandwich for $10 and I decided to try out their burger for you for the extra $3. They originally brought me out another burger that had pulled pork, onion rings and bacon. It looked phenomenal. It was a foot high and beautiful. My slop had the pork roll, cheese whiz and a fried egg on it. Pork roll is salty spam (or was it sperm). The burger was disappointing. It split horizontally. I think they are of the school that says smush it to get a good crust. I say it dries it out. In any event, it wouldn't hold together. Maybe the mix (brisket, pork and something else) is not fatty enough to bind it. It came with some decent french fries. I also tried a lager from Cask and Larder. It sucked. Makes your mouth pucker. Way too much hops. This seems to be a popular flavor profile among small batchers. I don't get why. It tastes like herbal tea not beer. The service was good. The crowd was interesting. The girls had more tattoos than the guys and more than a european soccer jersey. A group of people in fox costumes meandered in. The TV's showed sci-fi/horror shows not sports. It is an intriguing alt option with some decent food. They have a lot of microbrews and imports and even more cider. They (not the bar) say it's going to be the next thing. so I guess they are ahead of the curve. The place is near 436. I'd go for the bird watching.

No comments: