Monday, September 15, 2014

El Gran Palacio, Lake Mary - Closed

I went to this Latin/Asian buffet today for lunch. It replaces a buffet in the Target complex on Lake Mary Blvd that I believe was called Golden Buffet or something or other. It's an improvement. I don't know if this (Latin for Asian) is officially a trend yet, but, I hope it is. You get another type of food. You don't have to worry about the penny pinching games and ignorance of hygiene that the Asians are guilty of. It's cheaper. The waitresses look like they were born after Vietnam not like they fought in it. This place is now run by Dominicanos. The price is only $6.69. They even allow coupons ($1 off) at that price. If you are going to overload my mailbox with them then I am going to use them against you. They have acceptable sushi (actual fish slices) and the best part is that the Latin customer base doesn't seem to like it. They have all the "gross" latin stuff. I've never seen a more authentic spread. I had pork tripe, beef tripe, goat, chicken gizzards, pig feet, pernil and some tasty desserts I have never seen before. They had soups, rice, beans and chicken if you are one. The Asian side had a cooked salmon and the usual Chinese gruel. It's amazing how unhealthy that stuff looks like when you compare it to the "unhealthy" Latin stuff. The Latin stuff looks low-cal in comparison. It looks like it was made in a kitchen. The Asian stuff looks like it was made in a lab. They also have a hibachi area and ice cream. They have pizza and some "American" items. A soda was $2. The place looks exactly the same inside. I can't wait for every buffet to be in Latin hands. They are way more clean, generous and personable. They aren't out to squeeze their customer. They are there to make them happy. A odd concept/priority now that we have so many "efficiently" run businesses.

* I went back on 9/29/2014 and it seemed like they were pulling back already. There was an Asian lady running the room. Let's hope they didn't hire her to run it the "Asian" way.

* I went back on 11/25/14. They ditched the dragon lady and everything was back to normal.

No comments: