Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sea Dog Brewing Co., Disney

I ate at this seafood restaurant on Monday night. It's down off the Downtown Disney exit (535)  in the area that has a Hooter's and Kitty O'Shea's (Palm Parkway). It replace the Crab Shack. I was expecting a working brewery, but, it's just a restaurant that serves their beer. The place has potential that it is not reaching. I blame management. It's a loosely run ship. There was no host at the door to begin with. I had to chase down a waiter who chased down someone else. The place seemed rudderless. The entree (chipotle shrimp and grits) was ridiculously over salted and sloppily plated. There is no Gordon Ramsey tasting this stuff before it goes out. It was a weird concoction to begin with. It cost $15. They slathered barbeque sauce (salty) on grits (salty and dense) and topped it with some avocado salsa and bacon topping (salty). It would be over kill (and odd) even if executed properly. I only ordered it because I was apprehensive of how they would treat a lobster or the other sea creatures. The swordfish dish I saw going to another table seemed small and drab. It may have been wiser to stick with an less challenging recipe even if it was twice as expensive. I also ordered some shrimp to try out the raw bar/freshness. They sell them separately at $1. They and the ones in the entree were adequately sized and not overcooked. I think I'd still rather pay around $7 for a half pound of peel and eat. I learned you tell fresh by whether they still have the front feelers attached. They didn't, but, I wasn't expecting non-frozen.  I also tried a flight (4) of their beers for $7. They were all good. A pint runs $5.50. I lucked out with my waiter. He was patient and knowledgeable and even talked his manager into a ten percent discount (food only) because of multiple complaints (not just mine) about the grits salt flats. The experience was different from what I imagined because I imagined this place was a lone building that served as a working brewery and had some snacks. It's really just a large chain restaurant. However, I think that there needs to be more control if they want to be more than a Chili's/Olive Garden. They have really good, branded beer. They have fresh sea food. They have a nice atmosphere. They have talented servers. They just need a guy or girl in charge who will conduct this orchestra. I'd start with the kitchen. Better than I expected, but, I expected a tasting room. They had a place in Winter Park that failed. I don't recall them having seafood. Maybe they should try again with this strategy?

No comments: