Thursday, September 25, 2014

Tortilleria La Mexicana #2, Orlando

I had lunch at this Mexican restaurant on W. Oakridge Rd in between OBT and John Young on Tuesday. I had the Platillo a la Mexicano so I could report back on as many things as possible. It cost $10. It consisted of a quesadilla, tamale, two enchilladas and two flautas. I asked for the flautas to be chicken and got beef. They correctly served the enchilladas as one of each and the rest as beef. I was hoping for shredded beef, but, it was pieces. They were tender in the enchilladas, but, overcooked in the others. I suspect they use the same pile of meat for all and the dishes that required extra cooking/frying ruined the meat. The chicken was very tasty (a little dry). I think the used coriander. The enchilladas were not enchillada-ed (rubbed with chilis). They also did not come with a red sauce. They and the flautas and tamale were smothered in a crema that was very thick (over kill). I must have ingested 5000 calories. The quesadilla tortilla was fried and looked like a taco. The tamale was dense and they filled it with a cheese that had a different color than the quesadilla cheese. Everything was loaded with queso fresco. They also had amazing chips (thick) and salsa (green). I ate way too many because I was starving because I wiffed on two other places on my list before I landed here. Soda came in a bottle, The place and area may leave something to be desired. I forget how I found out about this place. When I first rolled up, I thought it was closed down. It's behind opaque black windows with no entrance sign. It's also attached to a market. They try and gussy the place up with flags and streamers, but, it just makes it look messier. Like someone didn't take down party decorations. They have these crazy heavy wood tables with wood seats that have grapes, horses and a guy making out with a cactus on them. This place is full on Mexico Mexican. I was the only gringo there.  I think it's central Mexican (huaraches, chilaquiles) cooking, but, I think the waitress was just agreeing with whatever I said. I think it might scare some of you and it is difficult to get to (no exit to Oakridge from I-4). The food is authentic and the portions are generous (I forgot that they also served beans and rice) to a fault. However, that may not be what you want. It will really add to your waistline to eat here. Yet, you are probably all getting from your car to your seat via motorized Hover-round, so warp your way into becoming those people in Wall-E. They end the restaurants title with #2. I wonder if there is another?

No comments: