Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Rabbitfoot Records, Moon's Subs and Donuts 2 Go

I went to these places on Tuesday afternoon. The first is on the main street through town. The second is a block and a half up after you turn right. The last is near the hospital on 46 on the way out of town. None of these were on the original agenda.

Rabbitfoot Records - I had an iced tea for under $2. It was fine. They mainly serve liquid refreshment and some pastries. They sell records. At least they were open. They branched out here from Titusville.

Moon's Subs - I ordered a two piece (breast/wing) fried chicken platter to go from this decrepit deli. It cost $6.59. It took a while to cook. That is either good if you don't want warmed up chicken that has been sitting in a 85 degree store all day or bad if you don't want to sit in a 85 degree store all day. It was overcooked. Judging by the look of the place, I was glad that they killed off as much bacteria as possible. Also glad it didn't taste like fish (they have it on the menu and sometimes people don't segregate the fryers). It came with fries. They were about half crisp and half underdone. They also tossed in some lettuce and tomato and white bread for some reason. I guess their customers make sandwiches. The place is familiar to anyone who has lived in a major city. A Korean grocery store cum greasy spoon. The owners here have suffered in this neighborhood for 22 years (place has existed for 32). They (couple) serve up fried items and burgers and sandwiches to the lowest rung of society. I'm sure it's a thankless ordeal that makes one wonder how bad their circumstances were before they arrived here. They have to have a sign that says "no food stamps". I would have normally told you to avoid this place. It's not a place that you recommend. However, I feel sorry for this couple and the food wasn't awful. And once again, at least they were open when most of the competition was not. I have passed by here numerous times and couldn't do it to myself. The new street improvements made it a tad less scary. And did I mention that almost everything else was closed?

Donuts 2 Go - I had a square, glazed donut and a maple bacon "log shaped" donut. Both were under $1. They were both excellent. The square one was huge. Both were fresh. They also serve breakfast and lunch items at reasonable prices. They have tables. It's in a strip mall. They have been open for three years. I may have been here before. I'll go back again.

No comments: