Monday, September 15, 2014

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Celery City and Scoops and Spokes

I ate at these places on Thursday. One is on Palmetto and one is on Sanford.

Celery City - I was prepared to overlook the fact that they are among the growing faction of thieves that refuse to list the prices of their wares (especially craft beer narcissists) when I looked at my bill and saw a charge for using my credit card. That's two cases of anti-transparency and that's two too many. Congratulations. You just lost what would have been a detailed and positive review of your business (and a repeat customer) by acting like a group that you probably stereotype and lampoon. They said all beers are around $5. How (or why) should we trust you? You are cheap enough to collect a credit card charge and sinister enough not to inform the customer about it. I was your only customer. It wasn't an oversight. I had a roast beef and cheddar sandwich with grilled onions and horseradish for $5. It was surprisingly good. But, now I don't want you to succeed and won't come back. Customers want to be in partnership with those whom they choose to do business with. That's more important than the good or service offered. Don't treat them as disposable or they will be.

Scoops and Spokes - Say that five times fast. It's a bike rental and ice cream shop on Sanford. They said they have been open for two months. I had a banana split cone for $1.25. That's around half or a third of what most place charge, right? It's a simple business that addresses two needs. I think the bike rental prices were very reasonable too. They didn't have change so the real price became $1. I'll remember that. In exactly the opposite way I remember Celery.

I have to say that something I had at one of these places made me feel woozy.

No comments: