Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Grub Crawl - DeLand: Shady Oak and Fresh Off The Hook

I had dinner at these two restaurants (that are technically in DeLand, but, are almost in Lake County) on Sunday on my way home from The Carolinas. You have to drive out on 46 (4-5 miles) until you hit the St John's River. They are on either side of the bridge on the eastern side. There is a sign that you can see for Fresh Off The Hook. I'd take 1-4 to 44 if I was coming from Orlando.

Shady Oak - I found out about this place from an expose they did in the Sentinel a month ago. They called it a Fish Camp. It's a tiny shack on the river with an exposed patio. I tried to eat out there and the mosquitoes became intolerable once the sun went down. I had a fish called Ponga grilled with what supposed to be one side of potato salad, but, became french fries, cole slaw and hush puppies. It cost $7. The fish seemed more sauteed than grilled. It was tasty nevertheless. I googled the fish and it seems to be an acceptable breed. The fries were coated in a batter. It was thin enough not be an issue. The fries were crisp. The hush puppies were fresh and good. The cole slaw was sweet. The place seats about forty. Service (1) was fine. It's the sort of crowd where women wear ball caps and jeans and tube tops. I think that is called the nineties. The guy at the table next to me took OFF his shirt to try and frustrate the mosquitoes. There is a great view of the river from there. Better than the the Hook's. It's not a bad way to enjoy an early evening watching the boats pass by.

Fresh Off The Hook - This place is pricier than Shady. It has a greater variety of plate options. I had some fried clams ($8) because of the price inflation and the fact that they ran out of catfish fillets (still had whole ones). They were fine. It was dark when I went there (closes at 9 pm) so I'm not sure exactly what the view is like. It's in a marina and maybe the less attractive side of the bridge, so, I speculate that the view is worse. I could be way wrong. It seats around fifty in a wood enclosure. It's a little larger and more enclosed than the competition. Service was good. There were less people here than at Shady.

There was also a place before these two called CJ's (I think) Lobster Pot.

No comments: