Sunday, May 25, 2014

Chef Eddies, Orlando

I had lunch at this Soul Food restaurant two Fridays ago. You get off I-4 at John Young and head back towards the city and make a left about a mile up on Orange Center Blvd. It's about 400 yards ahead on the left. There's a great view of a lake and the city on the way. I had pig tails with rice and two sides for $9. I was cursing myself for having to be adventurous and eschewing the far more palatable items like chicken and waffles or the burger in a waffle when I tore into the first pig tail. It's nature's own little sausage. It's a little fatty, but, I found a new obsession. The (3) tails were succulent and meaty. My waitress says she eats the bones too, but I like my teeth, so I abstained. There's alot of meat in those stumps. They must braise and bake it. The rice was cooked correctly and smothered with a chicken based gravy. Excellent. Huge portion. I tried the mac and cheese and cheese grits. The mac was good. They broil the top so it gets crispy. The noodles weren't overcooked. The grits were good, but, I was so full be that time I got around to them that I could barely muster a few spoon fulls. It took a little while to get the food. I felt a little unwelcome at first, but when I told me waitress that I had just been to Jamaica and we spoke about her homeland, I became her pet. The place seats about sixty. There were three tables of black patrons when I arrived and those tables were replaced by foodies/hipsters when I left. The inside isn't posh. They have some obsession with unfilled aquariums. There was a certain amount of clutter that could be put away. The seats and tables are old. The menu is great. I think it may be the best in class in Orlando and maybe in the top twenty of all restaurant choices. One of those Food Network shows should use them and 4 Rivers if they come to Orlando. They have the items I mentioned already. They offer red velvet, banana walnut, chocolate chip, sweet potato and butter pecan waffles to name a few. But, it's not just that. They have a big menu. Pasta, beef, pork chops, steak, ham hocks, short ribs, ox tails, turkey wings, stews, fish, crab cakes, shrimp, crabs, bbq, burgers and breakfast items are just a sample. I won't list the sides. They have many. They have 12 items under $6 for lunch specials. The selection is voluminous. Entrees top out at the low twenties. Many things are under $10. I encourage you to seek this place out. It's bomb-digitty. It's perfectly safe too. They also have a surprisingly good wine. I think they said they have been in business for three years. Three years that I wasted in ignorance. I hardly have to say that I suspect everything is made from scratch.

No comments: