Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pub Crawl - Sanford: Nemo's and The Quiet Man (Closed)

I went to these places on Friday.


Nemo's Bar and Grill - This place is on that island in the marina. It was called Wolfy's for ages. I had thought it had been closed for years, but, I guess it just looked that way. It has been this for two years. I mostly went to waste some time before I went to the next place in this report. That place doesn't offer food. I had a plate of alligator tail for $10 here. Mostly because the rest of the menu was boring and I didn't really trust them to deliver on the eatable side of things. I agreed to have them grilled. There was so much seasoning on them that I really couldn't tell if they were pork. I don't know if alligator is expensive and someone would try and pass pork off as alligator, but, I did have my doubts. I tried to pull the chunks apart to see if they had the flesh of a water animal. My analysis was inconclusive. The place a straight up honky tonk (if anyone other than my father knows what that means). It could use a thorough washing. The view is good though. This is definitely a place that hasn't kept up with the trends. I found their beer prices a little steep for their type of customer. But, as I've written before, I guess this is one reason why poor people are poor - they aren't discerning purchasing managers. They charge $5 for most non-Bud beers. I wouldn't really mind if those beers were special. But, I read some of the labels and even the "imports" are now brewed in the US. I can usually get a craft beer at these prices. Killian's Red isn't a craft beer. It's a made up thing. Not even Irish. The place is a large. open, lofted wood structure. They had a band and sports on TV. They had six young waitresses/bartenders. I was swarmed by mosquitoes when I left. It's a place to go to if you want a "Bayou" experience. The sort of place you could probably talk your way into a rendezvous at the end of the night with one of staff or clientele at their trailer. I would have loved this place when I was in college.

Quiet Man - Now that I'm no longer a prisoner to testosterone and recounting crazy tales born of poor life decisions, I go to places like this where there is no chance of hooking up. A perfectly quaint, little bar with craft beer. It's not bursting with options, but, they have enough and I was promised that they change it up alot. The owners were great. It's on Second St (the one to the right of the main street) at the first block of two story buildings. It's smallish. There were around twelve people there. I went because of an article in the Sentinel. I think the guy who wrote it was there. It has been open for a year. It was the Bad Monkey Tavern before this. Sanford has some nice little bars now. Too bad it doesn't attract women.

No comments: