Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Kesh, UCF Area - Closed

I finally hit on one of my choices on Friday. This place (short for Marrakesh - I think) is in the corner of that old strip mall on 50 and 434 (Alafaya). I had a bbq shrimp quesadilla for $7 because my stomach must have been mad at me for going to Jamaica and only eating seafood (snapper) once. It was even willing to accept cheese and seafood in conjunction - let alone with bbq sauce thrown in. I usually hate this combination, but, it called to me on that day at that time. I can't know why. It was good. The shrimp were large and fresh enough and butterflied. Crappy shrimp can quickly kill this dish. Way more than a crappy farm animal can. He got it right. This was important because the bbq sauce could have been store bought. It didn't stand out. I would have used a spicy sauce over a sweet sauce. The cheese also could have been packaged and pre-blended. I would have chosen a less obvious blend. I would guess that although they seemed not to be made from scratch, that they were. The chef/owner seemed to take his role seriously and the other items I saw him preparing all looked excellent. The menu was mostly sandwich type option. I think you could make them platters. He had some fancy hot dogs that I say are overpriced, but, the rest of the menu was reasonable. I remember a fat Cuban sandwich and a Taylor Street (Chicago) Beef sandwich and some breakfast concoctions. The place seats around around forty in a very narrow space. It won't win awards for decoration. There were five, hung over students there at 1-2pm-ish. They were being demanding and the owner evinced enough patience to gain my respect. If I lived around here it would be in the rotation and if I wasn't so tired of blogging about this inanity I would have been more expansive in my report. Time for CSI.

No comments: