Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Maxine's on Shine, Orlando

I had lunch at this place a couple of blocks south of 50 on Shine Ave last Friday. I had a half of a Caprese Salad for $6 ($5 on the menu) and a Pig Wing (baby pork shank) for $3.25. I really couldn't find any excitement on the menu and was trying to cut my losses at this point. The mozzarella was ok. They ruined it by flooding it with balsamic. It's an accent not a salad dressing. The tomatoes were ok too. The real problem was that both were cut too thinly. The "wing" is similar to something they used to serve at World of Beer. It was drowning in a store bought bbq sauce. It made me wonder what distributor they have in common. And that's the gist. The food (what there is of it) is mediocre to an after thought (and the "thought" isn't deep). They offer four lazy Italian dishes. One (a lasagna is probably frozen in the skillet they cook it in or frozen in a square and dropped in the skillet to make it sound exquisite). I think the rest of the menu was a burger and a fish special. Maybe a panini. They have a new chef, but, management has decided to handcuff him with the old menu. The wine list seemed to be the raison d'etre for the owner. And it's not that impressive. Given that they are barely open for lunch and that the place is kind of run down (some might find it quaint - I worry about contaminants), I wouldn't waste my time looking for parking at this out of the way spot. It mostly survives because of the lack of options in the immediate area. Service took too long and they don't have enough respect for you (or fear of the law) to synchronize their menu and cash register. The owner acknowledged that their kitchen is too small to handle a larger work load. Prices are also above what they should be. This is the third ownership group I've reviewed for this location. I really am not looking forward to the next. They've all been superfluous. The ownership seemed pleasant enough, if that is all you ask for in a restaurant. Or maybe approach it as a bar that has some snacks and it changes the geometry in its favor. Imagine a restaurant owned by Joe Walsh (that's an Eagles reference)..

No comments: